• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valcambi Gold Armillary Coin Design Opinions

7 posts in this topic

I'm just wonder what y'alls opinion about the design of the Valcambi Gold Armillary Coin...

xoqqur.jpg

I can't find another post about it.

The photo is from APMEX. Here's a link: http://www.apmex.com/product/92288/2015-1-oz-cook-islands-100-gold-armillary-coin-valcambi

I wasn't even aware of this thing until around Christmas. And at first I really didn't pay it any attention -- thinking it's just another gimmick.

But I just watch the short video that's on APMEX's page there and I have a totally different view of this coin...thing...it.

They managed to make a gold coin (although it kind of looks like a futuristic CD) that dubs as high fashion jewelry. And the main end use of gold is jewelry anyway. So it's actually kinda clever. It's kinda difficult to say where the "coin" part of it ends and the "jewelry" part begins.

What the video on Youtube:

I mean, I know people have worn gold coins as jewelry through time. But not like this.

And when it's not jewelry it has this sort of ageless astronomical look. APMEX says, "Armillary coins take their name from the armillary sphere, a model globe split along longitude and latitude, invented by Erathosthenes circa 200 B.C."

And it even has a fractional thing going on because it all comes apart.

This is normally something that I'd say away from collecting wise. But I do think it's really cool. And I might have to get one eventually.

What ch'all think?

That is kind of neat.

But it won't fit in a "flip".

Or a roll.

Or maybe it will if it folds up ?

PS:

The Cook Islands are extremely prolific in allowing their name and a denomination be put on all sorts of "coins". It would be funny to see what would happen if you took one of these gyroscopes to a bank in the Cook Islands and tried to exchange it.