• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Accented Hair, Paul Manship, and Jacqueline Kennedy

10 posts in this topic

In 1963, the first trial impressions of Gilroy Roberts new Kennedy half design were flown to Washington and shown to Mrs.Kennedy. She accepted the design, but ask Secretary Dillon to de-emphasize the hair. The early strikes of the half (prior to modification) became known as at Accented Hair variety, and are only the product of the first working obverse die design.

I always thought it odd that Mrs.Kennedy would have a strong opinion regarding such a tiny design change, and would make that request as the coin was going to press. Then I read the article in this month's Numismatist about Paul Manship, the American sculptor. I had remembered him vaguely as the designer of the Kennedy Inaugural medal on which the half was modeled, but there was an interesting blurb in the article that tied it all together nicely for me.

Quoting Douglas Manship from the piece, "His final medal was Kennedy's Inaugural piece. The president-elect's wife, Jacqueline, had written a college term paper on Paul Manship's sculpture, and SHE had suggested Manship to the inaugural committee."

A look at the hair detail in the medal will make it immediately obvious why Mrs.Kennedy asked for the change. I was surprised and impressed to learn of her involvement in both projects, and her knowledge of the artist and his work.

Fixed link to Asylum Kennedy Medal process page w/pics

Great info, Don. thumbsup2.gif I had wondered similarly what the big deal was (and I had not yet red the Numismatist article tongue.gif). And thanks for the link - very interesting stuff.

Hoot

Thanks Hoot. It seems Mrs.Kennedy was pretty pleased with Manship's original work, and the rush was so great to finish the half that Gasparro's design was almost fully derivative. The only obvious difference at first glance is the unkempt hair. Her objection makes more sense when you see the two designs side-by-side. Small thing, but I thought the connection was interesting. wink.gif

Don

Thanks Hoot. It seems Mrs.Kennedy was pretty pleased with Manship's original work, and the rush was so great to finish the half that Gasparro's design was almost fully derivative. The only obvious difference at first glance is the unkempt hair. Her objection makes more sense when you see the two designs side-by-side. Small thing, but I thought the connection was interesting. wink.gif

Don

Don, the minor change makes even more sense when you look at JFK's hair, as Jackie viewed it, on that fateful drive through Dallas....the last time she saw him alive.

Chris

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The Accented Hair variety has nothing to do with the Gilroy Roberts/Jacquie Kennedy exchange, and its cause remains unknown. The change Roberts made at her request was to de-emphasize the part in JFK's hair. This is evident in comparing the medal and the coin.

David, the part? Did it change from the AH to the second obverse design, or are you saying the conversation occured prior to the preparation of the first master?

Don

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

The prominent part in JFK's hair was removed prior to mass production, so it wouldn't appear on any 1964 halves. The Accented Hair variety resulted from some retouching done to a working hub that was transferred to one or more working dies for proofs. Why this was done and by whom remains a mystery.