• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mint Confirms new Die Variety of American Gold Eagle

9 posts in this topic

Hadn't seen anything about this yet. Not my cup of tea, but I know plenty of people are interested in these, so I figured I'd share:

http://www.coinweek.com/coins/error-coins/u-s-mint-confirms-new-american-gold-eagle-die-variety/

I'm not sure, from the limited information that I know, if I'd call this a "die variety" yet.

Does NGC know how they will designate this (if they will?) and/or how they will be treated in the Registry?

Hadn't seen anything about this yet. Not my cup of tea, but I know plenty of people are interested in these, so I figured I'd share:

http://www.coinweek.com/coins/error-coins/u-s-mint-confirms-new-american-gold-eagle-die-variety/

I'm not sure, from the limited information that I know, if I'd call this a "die variety" yet.

Does NGC know how they will designate this (if they will?) and/or how they will be treated in the Registry?

I think they have already decided that the difference is too insignificant to recognize. I am inclined to agree with them.

IF the coins have not been damaged prior to slabbing... it's a non-issue (IMHO).

It was discovered because every single coin in an entire Monster box (500 coins) was rejected as 'damaged' due to roll rub prior to being opened... and supposedly the dealer has 10K on hand...

.Anyone have thoughts on how this might have occurred?

I was thinking if the "step" around the circumference of the die face was not cut deep enough, the rim on the finished coin would not be as high as it should be allowing the highest portions of the devices to extend above the rim.

That "step" is cut on the lathe as the hubbed die is cut down to final shape for the coining press.

Registry-Schmegristry.....Anyone have thoughts on how this might have occurred?

I'd have to see the normal and "high relief" coins in hand, but since the is no high relief hub to make the dies with a high relief design, the cause must be the preparation of the die. I can think of two possible causes:

1. The die was improperly annealed and is a bit like a Rolo candy -- sufficiently hardened exterior with a soft inside. After a bit of use, the die started collapsing just a little in the center, effectively raising the relief of the obverse design. Given the flatness of the design, the die wouldn't have to collapse by much to raise the relief of the design on the coin

2. Final preparation of the die after hubbing resulted in the center of the die being overpolished compared with the edge, leaving it with a dish shape.

I think 1 is more likely than 2. Both would manifest themselves differently from each other on the coin.