• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with $10 Liberty

10 posts in this topic

I'm not asking for anyone to grade from a pic but would like to understand this coin better. I asked the seller for better pic and this is what I received. I've been looking to upgrade this coin for a while but only two higher than this one it might be difficult.

Currently have MS-61

This pic MS-64

I might could live with the scratch in front of her head dress and nicks in front of chin but whats with the entire face and neck? Looks like bad acne. I've never encountered this before.

Thanks for all opinions.

161381.jpg.23036abb6d9e5ae33b64ba8d0602ccc5.jpg

My guess is that what you're seeing on the face is a good number of contact marks. And if so, I couldn't get past an MS63 on the coin.

Irregular toning/color is indicative of something having been done to the surfaces. Uncertified coins are not worth chancing usually unless they are sold with limited downside risk.

If you are only looking to upgrade the type, something dated in early 1900s would easier to find without the preservation and minting issues.

If it is a P mint 1879 $10, Greysheet runs: $645 in MS60; $1000 in MS62; $3600 in MS63 and about double in 64. It is not a $3K coin IMO. If someone is trying to sell it uncertified at that or more, I would pass.

I'm not sure why the $10 coins around Unc. are so scarce from the 1870s.

Did you say it was an 1879-O?

No, it's a P. My 79-O is AU details. Speaking of the 1879-O; $20 is the last one needed to finish my mint set. If any one knows of a low grade available please let me know. Most are low grade and $30K and up sooo maybe a super low grade with details, environmental damage and graffiti with eye appeal.

Also, thanks to all replies. It was just the info I was looking for and by the appropriate people. My grading skills are still weak but a huge improvement from just buying what the label states. I now know enough to question. Life's a long educational experience.

Good for you!

Two replies without humor? Roger, please tell us if there's anything we can do to help with your current...illness...mental state..I almost miss it?

I would always check current market through auction records on any better date coin. CDN, numismedia, etc. can be much higher than the reality; also compare images of potential purchases with others that have sold for eye appeal, originality, etc.. I had an 1899-s $10 Liberty many years ago, NGC certified MS63. And I saw CDN climb on the issue, the problem was it was impossible to sell it near CDN bid.