• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Questions about using the census and price guide

11 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hey guys, just capturing a little feedback on some app design as an informal quick set of questions.

When you use the census and price guide:

Do you like the grid view? Why or why not?

Do you just look up a single coin at a certain grade and stop?

Do you look over several rows at once to get a sense of rarity of a date versus the series?

Do you tend to look across all grades in a single year to understand the pattern of grade rarity?

Do you wish there was a faster way to jump to a single coin and grade without having to see all the other rows and columns? Why or why not?

How often do you cross reference the price guide with the census? What do you use the two pieces of information together for?

If you have used the census and price guide on your phone, is the grid view desirable on the smaller screen?

I do like the grid view, and I think it functions as a useful tool in establishing relative rarity within a series and in many cases absolute rarity. Some of the pieces I collect (e.g. 1936-1942 cameo coins and in the past varieties) are scarce to outright rare in many cases, and I monitor the population information to see what is available, what may become available, and can use it in deciding whether to hold out for a higher grade exemplar or to purchase a slightly lower graded piece if the other examples are likely stored away in collections. When collecting at the higher end range of the grade spectrum, census data is also relevant in pricing. The more that are certified, the less strong of a premium I expect to pay, so yes, I monitor the data frequently across grades. It would be time consuming to me to see only one grade at a time.

• Administrator

What if the view showed you all the grades for a single coin (row) at a time, but did not show you all the rows together? Is that just as useful, or less useful?

I imagine the trade offs are - single coin is no horizontal scrolling which is good, but no comparisons between coins which is ????

What if the view showed you all the grades for a single coin (row) at a time, but did not show you all the rows together? Is that just as useful, or less useful?

I imagine the trade offs are - single coin is no horizontal scrolling which is good, but no comparisons between coins which is ????

I do think showing all of the grades for a single issue is a good way to balance the competing interests between maximizing information and compactness/readability on mobile devices. Searching issue by issue wouldn't be bad; searching issue by issue 11 times each (one for each of the mint proof or mint state grading scale) would be insurmountable.

I am also curious how the new design would affect the displaying of star and plus designated coins. I am wondering whether it might be advantageous to consider having each issue within a series have an individual webpage with compact matrices - one for non-designated coins, one for plus, one for star, etc., etc. that could be printed and viewed in a single frame without horizontal scrolling. It might require some vertical scrolling though.

I'm getting used to it thank you very much. Primarily what I would like to see are auction results on any given coin across the various auction sites with images to compare apples with apples.

I definitely want to see the surrounding rows. This gives me information about the relative premium between the coin or grade of interest and other Coins of the type. Price guides have limited value in an absolute sense - but can be very valuable in a relative sense.

I definitely want to see the surrounding rows. This gives me information about the relative premium between the coin or grade of interest and other Coins of the type. Price guides have limited value in an absolute sense - but can be very valuable in a relative sense.

Agree 100%

Hey guys, just capturing a little feedback on some app design as an informal quick set of questions.

>Grid view because I'm used to using this type of scale.

>Usually not, information in the immediate area as in year/date/Mint/mintage figures is a useful tool. It can also transform into, man...the S mint for this year is valuable, I need to start looking for that one.

Do you look over several rows at once to get a sense of rarity of a date versus the series?

>Absolutely!

Do you tend to look across all grades in a single year to understand the pattern of grade rarity?

>Yes, but as you get to further to the right, the coins are usually out of reach for me...but it's nice to dream.

Do you wish there was a faster way to jump to a single coin and grade without having to see all the other rows and columns? Why or why not?

>Not really, you hunted for the coin, now hunt for the proposed value. For some, time is not a big factor.

How often do you cross reference the price guide with the census? What do you use the two pieces of information together for?

>Occasionally, I'm certain this feature is used by dealers.

If you have used the census and price guide on your phone, is the grid view desirable on the smaller screen?

>Too small for these old eyes. (I have this page on 150% already)

>Grid view because I'm used to using this type of scale.

>Usually not, information in the immediate area as in year/date/Mint/mintage figures is a useful tool. It can also transform into, man...the S mint for this year is valuable, I need to start looking for that one.

>Absolutely!

>Yes, but as you get to further to the right, the coins are usually out of reach for me...but it's nice to dream.

>Not really, you hunted for the coin, now hunt for the proposed value. For some, time is not a big factor.

>Occasionally, I'm certain this feature is used by dealers.

>Too small for these old eyes. (I have this page on 150% already)

What he said!

I am wondering why the collection manager does not show population data. How input value for coins it does not input value for?

I have not used it in awhile but decided to have it keep track of MV on my NGC Coins. Then one line input to main spreadsheet.