• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Proof Walking Liberty 50c need some help

3 posts in this topic

I have the set of Walkers in proof that all show some nice frosting on the obverse.

I purchased these coins for that very reason as they are not the highest grades but had very nice eye appeal to them.

The 1936 under a glass shows tiny spots like they were left over from an earlier dipping and not properly dried, which I am sure happened in the past of this coin.

The 1937 & 1941 have very nice frosting also with nice mirrors but some haze that has started to develop in the fields. I know that the coins would need to be seen to make a judgment, but does this sound like something that could be addressed with conservation?

I would really love to preserve these coins in their present state before any damage is done to them.

Should these coins be sent in first for review or is it possible to send the 7 proof Walkers in one shipment and have them all graded together?

This is all new to me. Just looking for some answers or assistance.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-------------

etexmike

Your coins do seem like good candidates for conservation. Haze on proof coins is a common problem we often have great success in removing. This haze is often caused by storage in original mint packaging which is not ideal for long-term storage.

Depending on what exactly is causing the spots on your third coin, these may be removed or, at the very least, reduced and prevented from becoming worse over time.

As for the other coins in your collection, there my be other issues with them not as obvious now but could very well become worse over time. I would suggest submitting all of your coins for conservation. We will do work on them to promote both their aesthetic beauty and enhance their long-term storage. Be sure to note any special concerns you may have with each coin such as toning you may want to remain on the coin or troublesome spots you wish to have addressed. All coins could be forwarded to NGC on your behalf following conservation.

If you have any further questions, feel free to contact NCS customer service at 866-627-2646 or NCSHelp@NCScoin.com.

Chris, NCS

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I think you just talked me into submitting the set of proof Walkers.

They are very nice coins but I think you might help preserve them in that condition.

-------------

etexmike