• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Five Silver Liberty's and NGC

7 posts in this topic

Evaluating whether I should join NGC to have five coins graded. I have five Silver Libertys from 1990, 1991, 1992 and (two) 2000's. All are uncirculated and in plastic flip holders stored in a safe from when they were originally purchased. I'm no grading expert but I would be surprised if any were graded less than MS68, most likely MS69. Question I have is do you think it would be worth my while in the long run to have these coins graded?

It looks like my best option, if so is to join for $150 any get the five coins graded. This should leave me a little credit to get a few more coins graded on the cheap in the next year. I'm just interested in thoughts and comments on whether or not these coins might be worth the effort.

Welcome to the forum.

I doubt that it would be worth it to have those coins graded. Have you checked to see what they sell for at the grades that you estimate?

Hovering around $30 per coin for MS-68 it looks like a break even event providing they all make that grade.

Hind sight, you could have bought the same coins already graded for that very amount.

Welcome to the forum.

Well, if you might not use the full $150 credit, you can join ANA ($28) and then send in the 5 at the Modern tier ($16 each) for a total of 108 plus s/h (which you'll pay anyway).

However, unless you are SURE they are going to grade at MS70... Putting $16+s/h into a $20 coin makes no sense - MS68s have sold in the range of 17.50 to 37 last 90 days (check eBay sold listings).

Hovering around $30 per coin for MS-68 it looks like a break even event providing they all make that grade.

Only if you were given them as a gift or inherited them so you have $0 in them. If he bought them then at MS-68 they would be money losers.

Only if you were given them as a gift or inherited them so you have $0 in them. If he bought them then at MS-68 they would be money losers.

Hopeful he would get a mix of 68/69 (I would think a 70 would be out of the question as only a small percentage out of a Green Monster make 70 anyway)

Me, I would put the $150 back into some graded Silver Libs.

Evaluating whether I should join NGC to have five coins graded. I have five Silver Libertys from 1990, 1991, 1992 and (two) 2000's. All are uncirculated and in plastic flip holders...

As others have said, I'd skip getting your coins graded & slabbed. Anyway, you can always do it later.

Looking back, one of my biggest regret is not buying more numismatic coins decades ago.

So I'd use that $150 to buy a nice old silver coin... well-bought, it will appreciate faster than bullion.

BTW, if your flips are soft plastic (PVC) they can damage your coins. Non-PVC flips are inexpensive... and fine for silver bullion, especially if you plan to sell soon.

But for safe long-term storage, I like Airtite capsules.

The "Black Ring" version holds coins snugly:

2016%201%20oz%20Cannabis%20Silver%20Shield%203_zpsymyrdowu.jpg

Or if you want to view the coin's edge, the "Direct Fit" Airtite is clear all-around:

2016%201%20oz%20silver%20proof%20Shifting%20Gears%20edge%20number%203_zpsychiwikz.jpg