• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever have any luck with regrade or designation review?

13 posts in this topic

I had a Indian cent in an NGC slab that was graded as cameo.

The coin was cracked out (long story why) and put in a Capital holder after it was purchased from me. After a short time I ended up with the coins at a price that made it worth my while.

I submitted the coins back to NGC to have them slabbed again but this time the cent didn't make the cameo grade. The coin still looks just like it did when I originally purchased the coin. Looks cam to me but I'm no grader.

I haven't gotten the coins back yet but the grades were posted today. Is there anything that I can do with this coin or would I be throwing good money at bad with more grade tries?

The cent is the only one in it's grade with the cam designation so it was a pop 1 in that respect. It was graded 65 RB Cam. Even though technically the coin does not exist now I will keep the insert even though that throws the pop off. I feel like I bought that coin and still have it even if I don't have the slab to prove it.

Any thoughts or suggestions or even a word of condolence or just to make fun of me about this.

-------------

etexmike

I have found that both PCGS and NGC are receptive to a polite request that the determination of a coin be revisited. Both services have been willing to read what I have written, and both services have changed their stance on coins that I have advocated for. Of course, there are occassions when both services have also been unmoved by my reasoning. Good luck. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I would agree with TomB. I have done this in the past with good results. Send the coin in the current holder with the ORIGINAL insert designating CAM attached. Send it to NGC, attn: David Lange or attn: Mark Salzburg. Write a SHORT explanation and your wishes. They are VERY accomodating. They might even waive the fees. Good luck.

TRUTH

Thanks to you both for the replies.

I am not mad about the situation. Just disappointed. I searched hard for this particular coin with the "cam" designation on it in my price range. I had the quarter with the cam designation that dropped from a 65 to a 64. That could happen I guess. I didn't see any difference but it could of picked up a little hairline that I was unaware of. I just couldn't figure out how the cent lost the cam from one grading to the next. Grading standards must have changed on me.

Do you think the quarter is worth sending back for review or just leave well enough alone and try for the upgrade on the Indian?

I guess it is worth the gamble of sending in the insert if I can get the coin back in the holder that I think it deserves.

When the coins finally arrive, it will be back to NGC.

Thanks again for the info.

-------------

etexmike

((( 65 to a 64 )))

This is a typical sign of the difficulty of calling the grade on a borderline coin. If you submit it ten times, you might get MS-65 on two out of those ten tries (let's say) - a 20% chance.

But to answer your initial question, I'm sending two coins in soon for appearance review, so I'll certainly post the results.

James

I've had good luck with Regrade, Designation Review, and also sending the coin back and asking them to look at the coin.

It's been a couple of years since I sent a coin back not using one of the service tiers and asking them to review it. Of the coins I sent back, one was given the PL designation, one the Star designation, and the other came back with an explanation as to why it wouldn't be given either designation.

I agree with the interpretation that James has on your grade shift quarter. There are a really large number of coins that may be considered "liners" and how these liners grade will depend on many factors.

I agree with the interpretation that James has on your grade shift quarter. There are a really large number of coins that may be considered "liners" and how these liners grade will depend on many factors.

--------------------

Tom

Questions about toning? Read the articles on my web site.

Ivy League Coin

all tyhe responses are right and excellent i cant add anything more 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

thumbsup2.gifagain thumbsup2.gifAS per the above a fantastic answer by tomb

Greg, Tom, James

Just had the grades posted on the Indian cent and Barber quarter.

Looks like my nice little note along with scans of the coins in the original slab and the slab inserts failed to sway anyone on the grades. They stayed with the new grades and I lost a Cameo Indian.

I had listed the set on the Registry here with the old grades before I submitted the coins for reslabbing. I was so disappointed with the new grades that I just deleted the set. Kinda took the fun out of what I was trying to accomplish with it.

While I am on the pity pot - I just had grades post from a 1957 proof set that I had submitted. All were NGC cameo when they was cracked and put in a Capital holder. When they were resubmitted and slabbed the 5c and 50c didn't make it.

These 2 coins are great coins with nice mirrors and heavy frost. I just don't quite understand how the complete set didn't cameo.

Has NGC changed their grading standards that much in the past year? I just joined PCGS a couple of weeks back and submitted some Franklins. I might just start submitting all of my coins across the street if I keep having this kinda luck.

I have a 1954 proof set that is grading right now at NGC that like the 54 set was cracked from NGC cameo slabs. I am almost afraid to have those grades post.

Enough crying in my beer. Just wanted to let you guys know that originally posted to this thread know how it all turned out.

I don't think I will ever crack another slab when I get all of the coins resubmitted.

I was born at night but not last night. This stinks big time in my book.

-------------

etexmike

Looks like my nice little note along with scans of the coins in the original slab and the slab inserts failed to sway anyone on the grades. They stayed with the new grades and I lost a Cameo Indian.

Best advice is to wait until there is a so-called loose grading period and resubmit them in hopes of getting the grades you want. Or you can crack them and try them at another service and see what they have to say. It is possible they were overgraded/maxed out to begin with.

While I am on the pity pot - I just had grades post from a 1957 proof set that I had submitted. All were NGC cameo when they was cracked and put in a Capital holder. When they were resubmitted and slabbed the 5c and 50c didn't make it.

These 2 coins are great coins with nice mirrors and heavy frost. I just don't quite understand how the complete set didn't cameo.

Has NGC changed their grading standards that much in the past year?

NGC has clearly tightened up on the CAM/UCAM designations. I just received the grade results on a 1965 SMS Kennedy that I Expressed thru. It has a deep solid cameo to it. I was sure it'd get the UCAM designation. It only got the CAM. This is a coin that gets the UCAM designation a year ago. Right now it's a $500 coin sitting with a $30 grade on the slab. frown.gif

I have two SMS dimes where the cameo is identical. One is CAM and the other is UCAM. It's a MAJOR price difference. I'm just going to sit on the coin until that loose period comes and try my luck then.

I just joined PCGS a couple of weeks back and submitted some Franklins. I might just start submitting all of my coins across the street if I keep having this kinda luck.

Good luck with PCGS. I hope your coins don't come back with fingerprints on them.

Greg,

I'm a little calmer now. You bring up some very good points.

I have read that you should never crack a coin and then hope to get it back in the same holder that it came out of. I am proving that little diddy all by my lonesome.

The story on all of the crackout coins that I have is that I had owned them. I sold them to a gent who could care less about slabs. He just dosen't like them. I put all of the coins in capital holders . Due to health reasons I ended up with the coins again after only a couple of months. I wasn't doing too well with just the money I am spending to reslab. The way the grades are dropping it is hurting big time.

I will never buy another raw coin. These coins had been holdered but once they are cracked they are raw to me.

I guess I am just getting a lesson in economics and I am not liking it very much.

I have had 7 submissions (60 coins) to NGC since January of cracked coins from both NGC & PCGS. The grades are all over the place. Both up and down with the downs taking the big lead.

I am having trouble trying to decide which coins are worth the trouble from the ones that are not.

Maybe I need a break from collecting for a while until I figure out what the heck I am doing much less what the TPGs are doing.

The folks across the street are always compaining how NGC overgrades all of their coins. Me myself and I happen to think they are getting too tough at this point and will mention that if the occasion arises while I am visiting there.

The vast majority off all my NGC coins are from Rick T. (R & I Coins) who I trust to know proofs and cams and such. Great coins all of them at least IMHO.

Steam gone. Feeling a little better now.

-------------

etexmike

Rick T. is certainly considered an expert on Cameos. I guess it is the luck of the draw on these submissions. I have had the same thing happen on coins that I broke out for Capital Holders. I guess if the coins are in slabs and you like the grade, leave them there. Grading standards change when the market expands or contracts.

confused.gif

OT3

You are correct.

After thinking this thing thru, I probably got a little more upset than was called for.

Just venting, and with the blood pressure back to normal, I am seeing things a bit more clear.

Words of wisdom from you and a very valuable lesson learned by me.

-------------

etexmike