• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top grossing coin and collectibles companies in US?

15 posts in this topic

The highest revenue coin and coin related company is probably Silver Town ($342 million in 2013). Heritage is probably a close second - or maybe first - on numismatic items. (Heritage's gross, $969 million in 2014, includes more than coin auctions.) CLCT including PCGS was $61 million in 2015. Spectrum Group International (Stacks Bowers Galleries) reported 2013 revenue of over $7 billion, mostly from precious metal trades, and about $30 million in auction revenue.

The highest revenue coin and coin related company is probably Silver Town ($342 million in 2013). Heritage is probably a close second - or maybe first - on numismatic items. (Heritage's gross, $969 million in 2014, includes more than coin auctions.) CLCT including PCGS was $61 million in 2015. Spectrum Group International (Stacks Bowers Galleries) reported 2013 revenue of over $7 billion, mostly from precious metal trades, and about $30 million in auction revenue.

I believe that Heritage did $395,000,000 in coin auction sales in 2014. And well in excess of an additional $100,000,000 more, via private transactions.

id imagine that maybe great collections might me up there?

GC is really small fries compared to the big boys.

I believe that Heritage did $395,000,000 in coin auction sales in 2014. And well in excess of an additional $100,000,000 more, via private transactions.

My understanding is that a very large percentage of Heritage's sales is coins, although they have been diversifying rapidly.

Some companies like Heritage Auctions, Stacks/Bowers, have easily researched technical pricing and the NY area auction companies like Smythe, Spinks and Christies do a mix of collectibles. Littleton fills another niche. In another category you have the so called "mint" companies like the MBI/Danbury and Franklin mint conglomerates. In those latter companies the collectibles are not really numismatic for the most part.

Some companies like Heritage Auctions, Stacks/Bowers, have easily researched technical pricing and the NY area auction companies like Smythe and Christies do a mix of collectibles. Littleton fills another niche. In another category you have the so called "mint" companies like the MBI/Danbury and Franklin mint conglomerates. In those later companies the collectibles are not really numismatic for the most part and their overhead is huge. Buy/sell spreads are off the charts as well as all the energy devoted to scrubbing the record clean of any criticism, so everyone reviewing them believes all is well.

This is an interesting and insightful thread until this last paragraph, I have no clue what any of that could possibly mean. Seems like maybe you wrote that on a smart phone that was a little crazy with the autocorrect or something. ???

Heritage has take a long-term view of its auctions. Almost everything for the past 25 years is available on-line to anyone. None of the other companies have done that and it is a big help in researching specific coins.

There is a difference in the revenue numbers between a firm like Heritage and CLCT.

I don't know how private auction firms calculate their revenue but it should be like eBay which to my knowledge only includes the fees and not the value of the item. They report the gross value of auctions from their site in the financial statements but not in their P&L, balance sheet or cash flow statement. eBay is just a middle man and doesn't own any of it but this is essentially true of all auction firms as well, whether coin or otherwise.

A better comparison between Heritage and CLCT are the buyer and net seller fees versus the grading fees. I would apply the same principle to private transactions where they function as an intermediary. Coins bought and sold for their own account would be like any other coin shop.

Not exact but I think a more accurate apples to apples comparison of the relative scale.

I was wondering what the leading companies are in terms of sales of coins and other collectibles? Danbury mInt/MBI I understand has an annual gross around $350 million. Others?

I think the leading company would be Ebay.....Certainly in shear volume and revenue earned. None of those other companies would come close. In addition Ebay touches all the other companies that were mentioned and many others in some way. From having coins they are selling listed, or attempting to attract customers off Ebay to their sites, using ebay's payments transaction method (PP). I would argue that Ebay has had the most impact on the online coin commerce in the industry.