• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mechanical error on label, is it just my OC or...

7 posts in this topic

am I just a big ole buttinski?

There is an eBay auction for a minor foreign coin that has the wrong denomination on the label. After watching it for the last couple weeks (30 day auction) my obsessive/compulsive traits were driving me nuts and I finally emailed the seller and told him NGC would fix that for him (and/or if he would just fix the title of the auction he might find the right buyer).

I was polite and friendly about it, but somehow I wonder if I was just being a busybody.

The reason I even noticed is that there are only two coins in the census for the incorrect denomination vs. 21 graded for what it actually is. Basically this coin represents 50% of the graded population, and it's WRONG.

The real question is, do I cave to my OC and double down on butting-in and call customer service so they can take that out of the census?

No one is falling for it and buying the wrong coin, it's obvious by looking at the photo. The coin isn't in a registry set so no one can use it to game the system if they were so inclined.

We're talking a $50 coin in a $150 holder. My OC isn't such that I'm going to drop $70 on that $50 coin to get it fixed...yet.

"Graded population" is a largely meaningless term - it has little connection with the total universe of a specific coin.

And Customer Service won't change it on your say-so.

Now you could buy it and send it in to be fixed. But you've nixed that, so it's nice to know there is a limit on your OCD.

Would you drop $20?

To paraphrase the old joke, we know what you are, we're just haggling over price...

I had a $5 gold piece end up in an NGC $10 gold piece holder better date, MS grade that was worth multiples in the $10 holder; I emailed NGC as they were shipping it out and they rectified the problem the same day shipping it out.

Well, I must not have too pushy, I got a nice response and the seller changed the auction title. Now all I have to do is accept there is something WRONG. I know NGC would fix it, they have great customer service, if only the seller would let them.

Normally I view the census populations with a jaundiced eye, but in this case there are only 2 mint state coins listed which makes it stick out like a sore thumb. $20 I would spend, but not $70, for a lower grade dupe of the more common coin I've already got, and realistically is $50 on a good day.

Oh well.

Well, I must not have too pushy, I got a nice response and the seller changed the auction title. Now all I have to do is accept there is something WRONG. I know NGC would fix it, they have great customer service, if only the seller would let them.

Normally I view the census populations with a jaundiced eye, but in this case there are only 2 mint state coins listed which makes it stick out like a sore thumb. $20 I would spend, but not $70, for a lower grade dupe of the more common coin I've already got, and realistically is $50 on a good day.

Oh well.

IMO, you got a nice "victory" for your OCD. You got the seller to change his listing. Both you and the seller handled it in a professional manner.

From here out, the only way to further correct the error is for you to buy the coin and send it in to be changed.