• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coin value

12 posts in this topic

Population reports notwithstanding, these are not rare. I would probably estimate its retail value to be in the $20-$30 range, but would not be surprised to see it go lower.

Edited: It actually looks like the 1998-D is supposedly a condition rarity in MS66 FS even without the PL designation. So I would stand by my price estimate for non-condition rarity pieces, but could see this going higher. Without pricing data, it is hard to say how much higher.

I did find a 1998-D ms 66 fs on the PCGS price guide at $600.00

The PCGS guide tends to be too high for coins like that, unless than are very vew or none graded higher.

The NGC value list for a 1998-D ms 66 with 5fs and not PL is $500.00

Unless you can find an actual sale in this vicinity, I would ignore the PCGS price guide. Real sales prices are all that matter.

Given its recent vintage, unless these are known to be relatively scarce as a FS, there are likely thousands or even more in this grade eligible for the designation. If so, the primary reason the counts would be low is because few have been submitted and this would be due to the value. A low population count does not mean it is scarce.

I would think their are not many at this grade level with the PL designation?

Checked the NGC census for the 6FS PL designation:

MS65 6FS PL is at 15 coins.

MS66 6FS PL is at 4 coins with non higher at this grade level. (If you find two registry players to bid on your coin, you should do well.)

There is one coin that grades MS66 6FS DP.

While I certainly wouldn't pay that much, NGC's coin explorer does list several sales at the $500+ range for the 66FS.

The PCGS FS is generally accepted to be equivalent to 5FS, and NGC's 6FS is a higher designation. This coin has low demand and is thinly traded, so there isn't a whole lot of price history.

Add in the PL, and the price history becomes even thinner. I will say though, for this coin, the PL probably adds very little premium. PLs are very common on late 90's nickels, and the coin is already ridiculously expensive. Just look at the census numbers - of the 11 coins that grade 66 6FS, 5 of them are PL/DPL.

At lower grade levels, the percentage holds - 43 of the 103 coins graded for the date are PL. That is extremely common. Hence, the PL will not add a significant premium (if at all).

So much hot air, so few hot air balloons.

Wished I had a PL nickel for every time I've heard this.

Full step means nothing past 1986, but since I'm nt a PL expert I have no idea what the combination could bring.

MS-66 seems low for that year, no?

I agree with Physics regarding PL pieces from the 1990s, and especially coins from the Denver mint. I have seen a number of raw PLs, and my guess is that no one thinks that the coins are worth slabbing (and they are probably correct).

I would caution everyone to be careful about relying too much on the population reports. As stated, there are many raw coins that have never been submitted. Moreover, even the older coins are not immune. It was only the last 10 years or so that NGC began recognizing PL coins, and PCGS still will not attribute PL coins (save for Morgan Dollars and select modern U.S. coins - I don't know about the foreign coins). The net effect is that the population data is more prone to fluctuations. In my experience, this is especially true for 20th century coinage where I have seen the population double or triple in as the prices in PL coins increased. I have also seen a number of PL seated coins (especially quarters) slabbed during the PL era that makes me think those numbers are also misleading. While I think the data is likely more accurate for the oldest stuff, as always, I would consider the population report/census data with several grains of salt and do not assume false rarity.

When pricing this material, I always try to look for pricing points for the most common of the issue (as I did here initially) and then look to see if there is a reason that the particular issue would sell for more. I doubt there are many PL collectors doing date and mint mark sets, so as Jason states, I do not think the premium will be all the grade especially over a generic for the prooflike fields alone. The value would be from the condition rarity aspect.