• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1935 New Mexico Bureau of Revenue Token

3 posts in this topic

Can anyone give me background info on this token? It is a copper coin about three-fourths the size of a dime.

On one side is the date and the wording NEW MEXICO BUREAU OF REVENUE on the perimeter. In the center are two eagles (?) and the smaller of the two has a snake in its beak. There is a banner below the eagles, but my eyes aren't good enough to read the inscription on it.

On the perimeter of the other side is the wording, EMERGENCY SCHOOL TAX ON PURCHASES OF TWENTY FIVE CENTS . In the middle is the number "5" inside a circle with TAX TOKEN above and FIVE MILLS below.

My parents grew up during the Depression, and they told us many stories about it. Does anyone have family that lived in the southwest during that era? It would be interesting to hear any of the stories they may have told.

Chris

a really interesting token with much important history relating to new mexicos past

i hope someone on here can shead more light on it

michael

Can anyone give me background info on this token? It is a copper coin about three-fourths the size of a dime.

On one side is the date and the wording NEW MEXICO BUREAU OF REVENUE on the perimeter. In the center are two eagles (?) and the smaller of the two has a snake in its beak. There is a banner below the eagles, but my eyes aren't good enough to read the inscription on it.

On the perimeter of the other side is the wording, EMERGENCY SCHOOL TAX ON PURCHASES OF TWENTY FIVE CENTS . In the middle is the number "5" inside a circle with TAX TOKEN above and FIVE MILLS below.

My parents grew up during the Depression, and they told us many stories about it. Does anyone have family that lived in the southwest during that era? It would be interesting to hear any of the stories they may have told.

Chris

TTT