• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSA Soft Pack 1878-CC Dollar

5 posts in this topic

Purchased an 1878-CC Silver Dollar coin from the GSA back in Jan. 1973 as a circulated dollar. The coin appears to be MS 62 or MS63. Thinking about sending to NGC for grading. I know you grade the Hard and soft packed GSA coins in the original holders to preserve their integrity and pedigree. Question...do the old soft pack GSA holders contain any PVC? If so would it best to remove from the original packing? Any advice before sending coin to you for grading? Thank you!

Morgan_Dollar_1878-CC___3_.jpg

Morgan_Dollar_1878-CC___2_.jpg

• Administrator

Thanks for your question. We would not recommend removing the coin from the original package before sending for grading.

• Administrator

I consulted one of our NGC numismatists and he tells me that he believes they are made of polyethylene, so the answer is likely no. He went on to explain that he has never heard of any coins deteriorating in them, so this reinforces the idea.