• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to tell if a half cent is cleaned

12 posts in this topic

I am concerned about whether that coin is even authentic, as the reverse looks a little odd to me. Perhaps just the imaging? At any rate, in the EF range for this type, a cleaning of that mild level wouldn't bother me terribly. I'd just knock off 20 to 30 bucks or so.

I am concerned about whether that coin is even authentic, as the reverse looks a little odd to me. Perhaps just the imaging? At any rate, in the EF range for this type, a cleaning of that mild level wouldn't bother me terribly. I'd just knock off 20 to 30 bucks or so.

It looks authentic to me, and if it was cleaned, I believe it was only lightly so.

This website sucks. When I click on it I get pop ups galore which concerns me about malware. I don't want an account with this site. I really don't want to open it again. Please avoid putting up links to again.

I really like the coin but the color looks off to me. Suggestions?

https://www.listia.com/auction/28833940-1855-braided-hair-half-cent-rare-lqqk

I don't see any cleaning hairlines, and the red/burgundy tinges and gloss are possible on an AU coin that still has original red and mint luster showing. The pictures are not good enough to suggest that any cleaning has occurred, and if one has taken place, it is probably subtle.

This website sucks. When I click on it I get pop ups galore which concerns me about malware. I don't want an account with this site. I really don't want to open it again. Please avoid putting up links to again.

Sorry just wanted to get some info on it

The same thing happens when I open some of your posts. :whee::foryou:

Looks lightly cleaned long ago, also shows minor porosity over the whole coi like it was buried for while, has a few rim bumps. Rev is a little weak, Sharpness of 35 - 40 coin, net maybe a F-15.

I don't understand why it costs credits instead of $'s or Euro's or whatever.

It's kind of a "captive" auction market. You can list things and sell them for credits, but the credits are only good for buying other items listed on the website.