• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MS-64?

9 posts in this topic

All of those marks are not die polish. They are marks that are emphasized by the P-L. Frankly I think that the coin is over graded by a point and a * based upon the pictures.

The grading on $20 gold pieces is tricky. I have an 1873 Type II $20 gold that is graded MS-63 that many people here think is over graded. When you look at the coin in hand, I think that it is an MS-63. I passed on one graded MS-63 with a green CAC sticker that a few more marks.

To me the grading on $20 gold pieces is similar to that for Morgan Dollars. They are both big, heavy coins that are prone to bag marks. The Liberty $20 gold pieces are even more prone to marks because they so soft. That is why pieces in MS-64+ and better are hard to find. It's also why the MS-65 Liberty $20 gold coins are so expensive, even for common dates like 1904. They are scarce in those grades.

The star is for the deep mirrors and attractive cameo contrast.

Those pictures are somewhat hard to interpret. There is some die polish there, and there are some contact marks there (her cheek is a bit rough, even for a 64). However, the picture also appears to show the flow marks in the fields (from the striking of the coin). I think, in hand, that the coin is probably significantly more attractive than those pictures show.

The star is for the deep mirrors and attractive cameo contrast.

Those pictures are somewhat hard to interpret. There is some die polish there, and there are some contact marks there (her cheek is a bit rough, even for a 64). However, the picture also appears to show the flow marks in the fields (from the striking of the coin). I think, in hand, that the coin is probably significantly more attractive than those pictures show.

+1 (thumbs u

I'd wager it looks a lot better in hand.

The star is for the PL tendencies.

Its a beautiful coin, bidding should be strong on it. How many attractive PL $20 Libs do you see every day?

Its a stunning coin, wb a keeper coin in any inventory. A retail price upwards of $6000 would not be out of line, possibly deserves much higher. It would be the crown jewel of any $20 Lib collection or USGTC inventory. I may be tempted to bid on it myself. Its a fantastic Superb CH PL BU+ with lots of blast. It would be a must have for many. Certainly the dealer who has this one in his case at a show is going to have the only one in the room!

I can c some Cali multi millionaire with deep pockets who has everything putting in a nuclear bid of say $10K or after consulting with his pretty blonde Cali trophy wife even much more on this piece.

I may not win it, but certainly will bid it up.