• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copyrighted eBay Coin Photos

5 posts in this topic

I frequently see coin photos on eBay that claim copyright. What's the point of that?

How does the seller benefit at all? Unless the image is registered with the Copyright Office, I don't think the seller could sue for infringement. I would guess that the most they could do is send a cease and desist. But that costs money. So it's probably not worth it.

So, what's the point? Just to disallow someone else from using an image that you're never going to use again anyway?

There's no situation attached to this question. Just curious, does any one here claim copyright on their eBay coin images? And why? What do you get out of that? Maybe I should start doing it too?

Copyright is automatic for the creator - nothing must be registered.

It's likely a warning to those who might copy the image and use it elsewhere. I do the same on some posted images.

It may be more geared to scammers who would copy an image of Seller A, then use it in a scam, etc.

Many ebay buyers will favor sellers who have no copyright or watermark so they can use the photos in their sites for the coins they buy.

Many of the large ebay coin dealers have copyrighted photos. Usually this is not the exact coin you will receive.

If you have an IPhone 6 you can easily make super coin photos and even crop them. These can be easily uploaded into ebay for the item your selling. As far as people who buy my coins, I have no problem with them using the photos and these have no wm anyhow.

It may be more geared to scammers who would copy an image of Seller A, then use it in a scam, etc.

Many ebay buyers will favor sellers who have no copyright or watermark so they can use the photos in their sites for the coins they buy.

Many of the large ebay coin dealers have copyrighted photos. Usually this is not the exact coin you will receive.

If you have an IPhone 6 you can easily make super coin photos and even crop them. These can be easily uploaded into ebay for the item your selling. As far as people who buy my coins, I have no problem with them using the photos and these have no wm anyhow.

'super' coin photos with a phone? No wonder 99% of the coin images on ebay are lousy and can't be trusted. Unless you are using a good camera, macro lens or equivalent, excellent lighting, and a photostand, at the minimum, the photos of coins won't be anywhere near super. There is a lot more that goes into a coin image than what can be captured from a phone camera held in hand by someone......

Best, HT