• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question on 1902 O PL Morgan

7 posts in this topic

I recently picked up this 1902 O PL MS65 in a OGH holder. The coin has very little contrast between the mirror fields and the devices. I would like to find a PL coin for the date that has good contrast. When I look a photos of other 1902 O PL coins, I am not seeing much contrast. I am I looking for something that does not exist?

I did notice that a 1902 O DMPL MS65 sold recently at Heritage for 14K and I was not impressed with the frosty devices and contrast.

When it comes to contrast on a PL coin for the date is the coin below about as good as I am going to find?

160375.jpg.f5c63b4800192ac38f80b9878b04cd1b.jpg

160376.jpg.464d8a746a18a2d766a4200f7e85c9e2.jpg

I have a 1902-O in 63PL. The mirrors are almost DMPL but it has no contrast at all. This is typical for the date. Maybe there are some coins for the date/MM out there with a cameo effect but they are rare. Yours is an above-average example for sure.

1902-O does not come with frosty devices, so you will not get good contrast on a PL or DMPL coin. From Wayne Miller's Morgan and Peace Dollar Textbook, "Full cameo prooflikes are unknown."

From what I have seen of the Morgan Dollar Proofs from the early 1900s, the actual Proofs had virtually no contrast. They are a disappointing group for type collector such as I.