• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would be a good reference book?

8 posts in this topic

I stopped at a garage sale last weekend and the homeowner had several thousand coins from more than sixty countries. They are all raw and separated by country; some of them are in plastic medicine bottles while others are in envelopes. They are all circulated coins. I paid him $50 for everything. To me, it was worth it just for the fun of sorting through them. So far, the oldest date I have found is 1866.

I'm in the process of mounting them and I need a good reference book that, literally, "spans the globe". Any suggestions?

Chris

That's too much work for a litesider. Just send them to me - double your money and save the effort. laugh.gif

Roy, that's awfully considerate but I'm enjoying my

yay.gifR yay.gifE yay.gifT yay.gifI yay.gifR yay.gifE yay.gifM yay.gifE yay.gifN yay.gifT yay.giftoo!

Since I'm already here and I haven't gotten the Krause book yet, can anyone tell me anything about........

1886 Canadian one cent? It's copper and larger than a U.S. quarter.

1917 British 3 (I assume Pence)? It's either silver or another white metal and is about three-fourths the size of a U.S. dime.

Roy, I need to get in touch with Kunihiko Takahashi. He's a professional pool player in Japan. Any connections?

Chris

PS. There are about a dozen Japanese coins, but half of them are no good. They have holes in the middle of them.

Roy, I need to get in touch with Kunihiko Takahashi. He's a professional pool player in Japan. Any connections?

The only Takahshi I know is an attorney with offices in Tokyo and Los Angeles. I don't know any pool sharks there.

There are about a dozen Japanese coins, but half of them are no good. They have holes in the middle of them.
I assume you're joking, and already know that aside from the pre-Meiji coins with square holes (about which I am the world's #3 non-expert, there are 5 and 10 sen, and 5 and 10 yen coins worth more than $50 Unc.

"Since I'm already here and I haven't gotten the Krause book yet, can anyone tell me anything about........

1886 Canadian one cent? It's copper and larger than a U.S. quarter."

1886 One Cent - KM 7

1,500,000 minted in bronze ( 0.95 copper, 0.04 tin, 0.01 zinc ).

Weight is 5.67 grams.

Diameter is 25.4 mm (1inch).

Edge is plain.

Medal alighnment.

Retail value ranges from $3.75US in VG to $350US in MS63.

There are about a dozen Japanese coins, but half of them are no good. They have holes in the middle of them.
I assume you're joking, and already know that aside from the pre-Meiji coins with square holes (about which I am the world's #3 non-expert, there are 5 and 10 sen, and 5 and 10 yen coins worth more than $50 Unc.

Yes, I was joking. What you have just told me, here, is now the sum total of my knowledge of Japanese coins. The problems I have with them is that 1) I can't read Japanese and 2) there are no dates on the coins. If they can put a "5 Sen" or "10 Yen" on a coin, why can't they put a date on it that everyone can read?

Chris

there are no dates on the coins.

Actually, with two exceptions every Japanese coin minted from 1870 on has been dated - in Japanese. grin.gif

If they can put a "5 Sen" or "10 Yen" on a coin, why can't they put a date on it that everyone can read?

Just about every Japanese person over the age of 6 (who isn't blind) can read the dates. 27_laughing.gif