• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Atlanta Area Scam Warning.

8 posts in this topic

I was passed this along and passing it here just in case any of our Georgian dealers or collector members run into this scam. The main antagonist is Chris Gaines using phone number 404-707-1365.

Chris approached a collector with a diverse set of coins that included a 1909s vdb, I guess a heft amount of exonumia, etc. All seemed on the 'up and up' but his behavior seemed a tad off and the collector began to postulate the coins were stolen but now believes that what was in fact going on is that Chris Gaines was using somebody else's picture. The reason being it seems when the collector started digging he noticed that some of the emails with pictures Chris was sending to him look forwarded. What had this collector originally getting suspicious was a massive delay in pictures. He would talk to him on the phone and Chris would claim to have the coins in front of him but when he asked for a specific photo he would take a day or two to send to him. What he believes is that Chris was in fact corresponding with an actual collector/dealer and playing as though the coins were his so that when the collector asked for a specific picture Chris would have to ask the real owner for it.

The real owner's email MIGHT be: hugo.teng@yahoo.com. Chris' wife Talaha was also involved but rarely spoke on the phone. They both own a business called T & C Beauty Salon in which the wife's cell phone serves as their business line: 404-914-1700. I asked for pictures used and will post them once I have them. I guess reverse image search showed nothing.

Recap of information to be on look out for:

Chris and Talaha Gaines.

404-914-1700

404-714-1365

chris197918@icloud.com

Yeah, being a middle man is extremely common, especially when the owner wishes to stay private. I've brokered many deals that way...need more info please.

Well when I have it 100% confirmed.

Brokering is fine but the seller never said he was a broker and explicitly stated he found the coins in a storage locker.

Yeah I think it's pretty wreckless to post something like this, including someone's personal info based on what little you have to go on... something like this wouldn't even be felt as a red flag in my book. .. let alone any reason to declare it a scam...

Yeah I think it's pretty wreckless to post something like this, including someone's personal info based on what little you have to go on... something like this wouldn't even be felt as a red flag in my book. .. let alone any reason to declare it a scam...

It is a scam.

I trust my friend and if somebody is claiming to own coins but is in fact brokering them that alone is illegal and fraud.

It is a scam.

I trust my friend and if somebody is claiming to own coins but is in fact brokering them that alone is illegal and fraud.

If the seller has or obtains the ability to deliver any coins which are purchased - and that's whether he is the owner or not - I see nothing illegal here. And it appears that while you trust your friend, you don't have enough facts to be on firm footing in your allegations.

You have good intentions, but you might very well be guilty of libel.

The OP likely has a good driving record since he was "wreckless." But, a good personal injury lawyer can determine that.

:)