• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1938 D/S Buffalo Nickel

14 posts in this topic

Hi Philip -

The OMM reference is for the 4th recognized die pair for the D/S over mint mark. The W is for Wexler, the author of Treasure Hunting Buffalo Nickels, which lists the variety. The most highly valued of the OMMs is the OMM #1, which is the D/D/D/S, with the top loop of the S to the north of the D.

Hoot

Your coin must be in an ANACS holder!? NGC and PCGS don't recognize the OMM-4! OMM stands for over mint mark. The OMM-4 is actually a D/D/D/S even though the holder usually only has 1938-D. It isn't as noticeable as the OMM-1 or the OMM-2.

At that grade level, there's only a slight premium. Only when you get to MS66 does the premium rise significantly. An MS66 example runs about $265-$350, versus about $45 for an MS66 '38-D. In MS67, it goes to funny money - around $2200.

I'd suspect your piece is worth around $40-$50. Just a guess.

Hoot

The one I was looking at on Ebay was a 63 as well.......I am pretty sure it ended between $30 & $40 dollars........I should have specified the lack of premium was for that grade point not all OMM 4's flowerred.gif

I kind of like mine but I didn't buy it for the D/S thing... devil.gif

5c-38dos_small.jpg

It seems I paid too much (3 years ago) however....typical. mad.gif

jom

That is one AWESOME looking coin. As good as mine looks, I don't think it

is as beautiful as yours. I don't think you would be interested in selling it to me...

or would you ?? If I owned that coin I would definitely have it certified.

Thank you for that excellent picture.

Phil

thumbsup2.gif

P.S. I didn't buy mine for the D/S either. In fact, it wasn't marked as such

either.

foreheadslap.gif

I don't think you would be interested in selling it to me...

or would you ??

You're right. I'm not. grin.gif

If I owned that coin I would definitely have it certified.

It is. MS66.

jom