• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GRADE POSTED - 1708 Queen Anne Shilling (NEW PICS ADDED)

12 posts in this topic

EDIT: Grade posted below in composite image.

1708_Anne_Shilling_PCGS_MS64_label_composite_v3_zpsmi6cu7s3.jpg

===============================================

A very hard coin to photograph, and likely a difficult coin to grade from pictures also.

Whatcha think of this shilling for a grade? hm

1708_Anne_Shilling_composite_no_label_zpsbzuta3oq.jpg

EDIT: I'm realizing how poor the first image I posted really is in showing the unbroken luster on the obverse. While the shoulder is slightly incompletely struck, there is definitely no wear. Here (below) is a 2nd attempt at imaging this one -- I think this picture does the coin more justice (and I properly lit Queen Anne's face now instead of from below!). I'm also posting a zoom in of the shoulder area...

1708_Anne_Shilling_composite_no_label_v2_zpsgpveclwx.jpg

1708_Anne_Shilling_composite_no_label_shoulder_v2_zpsyu633hrm.jpg

Beautiful coin, as always Brandon. I'll guess 58, if that is indeed rub on her shoulder. If not, 63.

It is not rub on the shoulder, but carry on... ;)

And, thanks for the kind words jerseycat...

I will say, these are extremely hard to grade in hand. They are even harder to grade from photographs. The discoloration on the high points is usually a tell-tale sign on modern coins (that is, US coins). However, these old shillings often sat in cabinets and were toned over hundreds of years. The luster and fields on yours appear to be in-tact.

My example, shown below, was graded AU-58 by NGC. I'd guess yours is either AU-58 (and a damn nice one), or MS-63.

JPW620%20obverse_zpsh9xfly14.jpg

JPW620%20reverse_zpsbkudgksk.jpg

Beautiful coin, as always Brandon. I'll guess 58, if that is indeed rub on her shoulder. If not, 63.

It is not rub on the shoulder, but carry on... ;)

And, thanks for the kind words jerseycat...

It looks like differences in toning pattern to me. My guess is MS63 shot MS64, and a very nice coin at that!

I will say, these are extremely hard to grade in hand. They are even harder to grade from photographs. The discoloration on the high points is usually a tell-tale sign on modern coins (that is, US coins). However, these old shillings often sat in cabinets and were toned over hundreds of years. The luster and fields on yours appear to be in-tact.

My example, shown below, was graded AU-58 by NGC. I'd guess yours is either AU-58 (and a damn nice one), or MS-63.

JPW620%20obverse_zpsh9xfly14.jpg

JPW620%20reverse_zpsbkudgksk.jpg

Jason, yours is a beauty! I love the plumes version (I believe yours is ESC-1148 -- mine lacks the plumes on the reverse thus ESC-1147). (thumbs u

Jason, yours is a beauty! I love the plumes version (I believe yours is ESC-1148 -- mine lacks the plumes on the reverse thus ESC-1147). (thumbs u

Yes, you are correct. The Plumes are a little bit rarer, I think. But the basic principle of grading them is about the same.

I got mine at FUN a few years ago. The guy had it priced as an EF. I thought there was an outside chance it could be UNC, so I snagged it.

Well, thanks to all for the guesses.

Because I'm a bit "anal" about exhibiting a coin as I see her in hand, I have taken yet another set of images for the composite with label/grade. I have posted the grade in the first post.