• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Four more 1896 Morgan Dollars if you have time to look

8 posts in this topic

Below are 4 additional 1896 Morgan Dollars that I have acquired. How do you think they would grade? What about the one with one side toned and the other not (it was the end coin on a roll). This one also has a defect on the obverse. It was in the roll up against #3(similar defect on the reverse of that coin). Still trying to figure out how to photograph these. Read online suggestions for photographing them but still have a way to go.

Thanks in advance - just getting into this and trying to learn from you.

IMG_3796.JPG

IMG_3795.JPG

IMG_3798.JPG

IMG_3797.JPG

IMG_3799.JPG

IMG_3800.JPG

IMG_3801.JPG

IMG_3802.JPG

Also took a picture with different lighting and black background:

Shocked at how different the coins look under this lighting with the black background:

IMG_3803.JPG

The reverse is slightly out of focus:

IMG_3804.JPG

For comparison, I took a picture of a Mexican coin that I know is pretty good:

IMG_3816.JPG

IMG_3817.JPG

And a 1921 Morgan:

IMG_3810.JPG

IMG_3811.JPG

1. 62

2. 63 - assuming that is a strike-through error and not a big scratch - looks odd to be a scratch.

3. 64

4. 64

1896 is a super common date and probably not worth grading fees until you hit the gem level, but there is nothing wrong with enjoying raw coins.

Thanks again.

I think I am getting a little better on estimating these based on your responses. I compared them to the photograde site and I had thought they were around 63 and thought that the Cien Peso was about a 65.

I could see the Cien Pesos in a 65 holder. I thought the obverse was easy 65, however the reverse I thought the fields had too many hits to be 65 along with the coat line, cheek, and forehead. But I don't get paid to grade so I could be easily wrong.