• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can a error coin be entered into the regular business strike registry sets?

3 posts in this topic

Hi

A coin in question has an error and has been certified as having misaligned dies but it has also been certified as a high grade full step nickel! Because the coin has an error in it's strike, I do not believe that such a coin could be entered into a regular business strike registry set! When a coin is struck with misaligned dies or is an off-center strike, the steps will strike up easily when the steps of the die are not aligned up with the usual high points on the obverse. This is why off center struck coins can end up with as many as 6 steps. I have an off centered 1949 that has 6 steps and a few other off centered coins with 6 steps have been sold on ebay.

Regards, Leon

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

You are correct in that off-centered and mis-aligned coins are more likely to have full steps and that mint error coins may not be entered into the registry. Competing against normal coins is comparing apples and oranges.

Thank you David

I'm happy to learn this is true. I made an offer for a NGC certified MS66 5FS 1981-P nickel with misaligned dies. The seller didn't eccept my $75 offer and stated, "the coin is average in strike and would fit nicely in a PCGS MS65 FS holder. Based on what MS65 FS coins of this date are bringing (approximately $500-$600 on Teletrade)." I will pass your response to this collector and hopefully, he'll do the right thing by letting the potential buyer know that the coin can not be entered into the NGC registry.

Leo