• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New 1988 Double Die Libertad variety

11 posts in this topic

I just had NGC grade the first 1988 1oz BU libertad Double Die MS64. Although this is the first one NGC graded, PCGS has graded 7 of them by the person (Dan from Connecticut) who made the discovery. The 1988 libertad is the toughest coin in the series to collect and the 88 DD is even more difficult to find. Although i have about 1000 ounces of libertads, i only have 9 1988 1oz coins. Most of the 88's i have came from oversees.

I find that interesting, the 1988 proof is also extremely difficult coin to find in comparison with other years of issue with similar mintage numbers. the 1988 PF S1ONZA has a mintage of 10,000 coins, and is as difficult to find as the 1997 & 2000 Libertad PF S1ONZA which have mintage numbers of 1,500 & 1,600 respectively.

What I find most interesting is I have heard rumored most of the coins in 1988 were shipped into China and overseas that year, thus the reason they seem to have vanished. Now that you say most of the coins you have purchased for 1988 have been overseas, the rumor seems to fit.

Thanks for being so willing to share your information Tom, I appreciate it.

Alan, noticed you opened a Registry set for the Libertad PF S1ONZA . Are you going to start a set collection? Nice write up on your coin.

Thanks! It's for my King's Ransom set (I have competitive sets for every coin in my King's Ransom custom set, where available, NGC are missing a few). I want to get at least two proof 1oz Libertads, the one I have, plus one of the older more straight-on angles (the 1983-1995 design). After that we'll see if I add anymore. The Libertads are quickly becoming a favorite of mine, the designs on both sides are very attractive (which is rare), the mintages are low enough to make them challenging, but not low enough to be impossible. And who doesn't love silver and gold? They've got a lot going for them.

Oh wow, kmag, I just saw your complete set, very impressive! I'm going to go read through the descriptions and take a closer look at each coin. If you ever come across an extra 1983 proof, let me know, that's my birth year and the first year of issue and a low mintage year, all of which attract me to that year for my example of the first design.

Oh wow, kmag, I just saw your complete set, very impressive! I'm going to go read through the descriptions and take a closer look at each coin. If you ever come across an extra 1983 proof, let me know, that's my birth year and the first year of issue and a low mintage year, all of which attract me to that year for my example of the first design.

There are 2 1983 proofs on the bay now. One is not so great but its only 499 and the other is in original mint packaging. I have started the proofs but i doubt it will go very far as i dont want to spend that kind of money. Liquidity of the proofs will be a challenge when the time comes to sell. Most of the proofs can go for huge money due to their scarcity. 2005 Pf70 just sold for about 1200 and there are some other pf70's on the bay for about 1500 each.

Currently i have ungraded pf 1 oz from 86-91, 92, 94, 96, and 2011, 13, 14, and 2015. Of course the others i dont have will be far more expensive.

Aside from my 1oz bu set i started the 1/2 BU set, this is also very hard to find but a lot less expensive.

Aside from my 1oz bu set i started the 1/2 BU set, this is also very hard to find but a lot less expensive.

I've noticed that the half oz BUs are almost no where to be found. There's one on eBay right now from 2015 (graded). But I do like that the reverse is different on the half oz compared to the full oz. I've never been a date and mint mark collector, I usually prefer type collecting. So I'll need at least one BU half oz because of the design change.

I saw the pictures you linked to, thanks for sharing. And good luck with the rest of your set mackbrass!

There are 2 1983 proofs on the bay now. One is not so great but its only 499 and the other is in original mint packaging. I have started the proofs but i doubt it will go very far as i dont want to spend that kind of money. Liquidity of the proofs will be a challenge when the time comes to sell. Most of the proofs can go for huge money due to their scarcity. 2005 Pf70 just sold for about 1200 and there are some other pf70's on the bay for about 1500 each.

Currently i have ungraded pf 1 oz from 86-91, 92, 94, 96, and 2011, 13, 14, and 2015. Of course the others i dont have will be far more expensive.

The 2005 sold for a massive premium because it is the only 70 for the year and with 3,300 struck probably going to be hard pressed to see another. Prior to being placed on ebay it sat on that companies website for $3,100 for a year with no takers. The 2007 is 1 of 2, and she is pricing aggressively to see what happens. She's is a knowledgeable collector of Libertads. As to the ability to liquidate them when the times come to sell. I have never had a problem moving them inside the 7 day auctions for nice price pops. If you ask massive premium on them, then yes like any coin it is going to be hard to move.

Thanks, I appreciate your kind words. I took a look at your King's Ransom collection, That is really nice collection. Not sure what grade you are looking for in the 1983 PF S1ONZA but 69 is the finest known and it took me about five years to find one. I do have several 83's in different grades. If you are interested PM me. Also the two coins on Ebay Tom pointed out, the one in the set is what I would bid on if you have an interest in a raw set. The other proofs in the 1982-83 set are limited strikes of 998 also and can be sold raw on ebay for about $300 - $400. Anyway PM me I can give you best price bracket if you are interested on any of the proof libertads if you are not real familiar with what type of price bracket to expect. Also, not if you know, but in the series there are only two dates between 1983 - 1995 that have PF 70 coins found to date. The 1993 is on the registry and is the only 70 the other date is 1991 which I believe there are 13. The rest of the dates finest grade is 69.