• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1890 and 1891 Morgan Silver Dollars

8 posts in this topic

I am again asking for your expert advice. I have an 1891-s Morgan Dollar that I want to get an idea of the grade. As a newbie, your advice will help me to get a better idea of the grading. I did try the photograde website and have an idea in my mind but want to see if I am at least in the ballpark.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_3767-001.JPG

IMG_3768-001.JPG

IMG_3769-001.JPG

IMG_3770-001.JPG

Both have been lightly cleaned. The 1890 has AU-50 sharpness while the 1891 is an EF.

The 1890 silver dollar usually does not have very attractive luster. It's a common date in the lower levels of Mint State, but it's hard to find attractive high grade Mint State examples. Part of the trouble with the 1890 silver dollar shown here is that it's the nature of the beast to have odd luster.

Thank you so much.

According to what I have read, if it still exhibits the cartwheel luster then if cleaned it is only lightly cleaned? The first one does have cartwheel luster when I move in the light. The second one does not.

These coins came from someone who was a collector and had this for at least 50 years. Any easy way to really know if it was cleaned?

Thanks,

Even if the first one does have "cartwheel luster" I'm sure there are breaks in it. The coin has some hairlines and "the look" that indicative of a light cleaning. "Light cleaning" implies that not all of the original surfaces have been removed. Some luster can still be present although it has been impaired.

You don't need to feel badly about these coins. They were circulated before they were cleaned, and the cleaning didn't destroy that much value.