• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eric P. Newman biography

43 posts in this topic

Eric Newman was not a dealer in coins. He rarely attended a coin convention or bourse. His focus was research and knowledge, and he backed that with a consistent set of ethical standards. Few contemporary coin dealers would have understood Newman's approach, just a few modern collectors comprehend why his coin collection was so eclectic. Newman bought and traded coins for their information not for their commercial value.

Copy 98 arrived yesterday. Was shocked to see it was a black hardbound copy! Was expecting a red softbound like the one pictured on the website. I'm 16 chapters into it and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It is more than just a biography of Newman, it also covers his family, his wife and her family, and Burdette Johnson. so far. This has to be the best bargain I've purchased so far this year.

Interesting that you recieved a hardbound copy. Heritage advised that they are not in possession of the hardbound copies yet, but are expecting them in the near future. The limited edition - 250 copies must be for preferred clients. Congrats.

So far everyone that has responded here has received a hardbound copy. And there is no way I would be considered a preferred client by Heritage. I've probably spent less than $3K with them over the past 20 years. I don't buy slabbed coins and they sell very few non-slabbed coins.

I received #102/250 a few days ago, right after Tyler N's #100 and gherrman44 #101. Fascinating book, very well researched and written, and holds one's interest throughout. What a remarkable man.

I was honored to exchange a few insightful emails with Eric a few years ago when he was a young 99 year old, for research on Robert Scot. Eric actually had contacted me when he found out about the book that I was writing, he showed much enthusiasm and gladly offered some helpful suggestions.

Hello all!

I'm interested in acquiring a signed hardcover copy of the new Eric P. Newman book "The Truth Seeker" that is being offered by Heritage. If you received a hardcover and can part with it, please contact me with your asking price. I'm an STL guy with a strong admiration of Mr. Newman and would like to land one for my library.

Thanks!

Roger

Please PM or email me at roger.buenger@3rbenterprises.com

It might be interesting to dig into Wayte Raymond's biographical material too.

I believe that John Ford wrote Raymond's obituary that appeared in the Numismatist. Ford viewed him as a mentor. Newman clearly also respected Raymond. Raymond, as I recall, contemplated going into business with Max Mehl--this did not work out, and Mehl returned to Texas. Many years later, Raymond wrote a pamphlet condemning dealers (but aimed at Mehl in part) for writing up fraudulent newspaper ads and premium guides.

Some said that Raymond was "too honest for his time."

There are good reasons you don't see biographies of coin dealers and why personal records largely vanish after their death. There were enough shady deals to make Havana a Winter Olympic candidate.

RWB, I appreciate your point. It's just that, in Raymond's case, it seems that he had an unusual influence on the hobby. The large number of house publications, coin albums that are still prized by some, interactions with great researchers as well as hucksters and eccentrics.

In some respects, I think it is nearly impossible to really understand the developments in 20th-century U.S. numismatics without delving into the influence major dealers had in steering collector tastes.

Raymond bought and sold coins, but he also was an active compiler and publisher of information that was as objective as he could produce at the time. This was known to and respected by the Mint Bureau, which often supplied him with coinage data.

Wayte Raymond was not alone in publishing, but the range of materials was greater than competitors and he integrated information better than others. (Ford omitted mention of his treatment of Raymond's widow. Nasty.)

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

There are biographies of coin dealers. I featured one of Raymond in Volume One of my book on coin albums, as it dealt with his entire line of albums and related products. Included were unpublished photos of the man and his employees. Volume Two does the same for Robert Friedberg, whose importance to the hobby has been forgotten by most.