• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should large coin shows have airborne video surveillance?

33 posts in this topic

Do you use the typical Allstate cases? Did you know there are only about 10 or so different keys?

There was a show a year or so ago where a dealer had the cases locked while he was away from his table and someone came in with a two wheel had truck, picked up a case of gold coins off the table, stood it up on the truck and wheeled it right out the front door.

Do you use the typical Allstate cases? Did you know there are only about 10 or so different keys?

There was a show a year or so ago where a dealer had the cases locked while he was away from his table and someone came in with a two wheel had truck, picked up a case of gold coins off the table, stood it up on the truck and wheeled it right out the front door.

I realize dealers have to be diligent in securing their coins at a show but if someone can come in with a dolly and wheel out a case of gold coins and contracted security doesn't prevent that! That has to be considered gross negligence on securities part in my opinion.

My cases are custom keyed by a locksmith.. Briefcases are locked and also chained to the table. If over night, all reference materials are put inside the locked cases which are locked, covered with a cloth, and chained to the table. Chairs are then put on top (there is an art to it). During show hours I do not do junk boxes are have inventory loose for possibility of shoplifters. A guy may go thru a stack of currency as I watch. The pickers pass me by and head straight for the guy with the huge bin full of junk and stay there hours. Usually I stay in the bourse room mostly behind my table except for washroom breaks On slow / dead Sundays I may wander around the bourse room.. A well stocked ice chest with drinks and food is essential. The guy who expects me to lift open the case so he can pick a bunch of coins to view will be told where to go. I control how I show my inventory.

In your example, the chances are highly possible such a bold thief would be noticed by the dealers neighbors and security even if popping around the table to try pick the table locks But a bold thief and people not paying attention...... Furthermore, I limit big ticket material at shows which would attract attention of thieves or make me uneasy (taking 10 Double Eagles vs say all that are in the bank box. I sell at retail only. One case is entirely paper money with a lot of it in stacks. Notes vary in price anywhere $10 to $1000. None of my items priced on the front if at all (computer). Let them go after the guy with stacks of $20 Saints filling up his case.

That is really scary somebody could get that dealers case. Now I have another reason to stay behind my table or at least not leave the bourse room.