• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

COINS STOLEN FROM DEALER AT THE FUN SHOW - PLEASE READ

11 posts in this topic

A neighboring dealer here at the FUN show had the following three RAW coins stolen - please be on the lookout for:

1861 $20 double-eagle, MS-63

1827 50c, MS-63

1889-C Morgan dollar, XF+

Regrettably there are no photos of the coins, but these are valuable and scarce enough that they may be recognizable by the victim dealer.

Thanks!

Probably gone for good. Will insurance would cover the disappearance?
i always wondered just how many dealers carry insurance like that on there coins? just curious is all. i do hope the dealer had some.

Were I an insurance investigator, I'd be cautious about establishing possession and then loss of three items. Was a police report filed?

I'm sorry to hear about this theft, one of the serious occupational hazards of the business. I remember Doug at Coin Talk saying that he recovered the swag looted from him, realizing that time was of the essence he went into high gear and did everything in his power to recover the loot. As usual the police will say that he was just lucky to not have violence done to his person. A good private detective would have much better chances, especially if he were paid on contingency. An earlier case I posted on in Fishkill, the dealer did not follow through on some suggestions I made, the dealer who sold the certified $10 Indians (PCGS and NGC) did not provide the records of certification numbers, assuming that they were broken out of the holders, which may or may not be true. Unbelievable. I could retrieve records going back as far as wanted in most cases. One reason I am not a big fan of cash transactions. Also the Fishkill dealer did not follow through with his stolen certified currency to get the serial numbers up online into the stolen databases, because he apparently he is not on speaking terms with the guy who submitted the notes for him. Let's "pray about it".

Were I an insurance investigator, I'd be cautious about establishing possession and then loss of three items. Was a police report filed?

The police were on site for at least three hours, reviewing film and interviewing possible witnesses.