• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Washington bow tie clip error

14 posts in this topic

This is really strange. Fred Weinberg has another bow tie advertised on his website with the NGC cert # 3704529-398 for $35. Yes, $35! It's strange that the one you linked has an NGC cert # with the last three digits...396.

Here is the one on Fred's site........

http://www.fredweinberg.com/product-category/error-types/misc/page/5/

Did I just save you a bunch of money?

Chris

Those just look like scraps of webbing to me. I like Fred's price better.

I agree, and I don't see this as being an error at all. It looks like normal leftovers from part of the planchet preparation process that escaped rather than being melted. I don't see the big deal, and wouldn't pay anything for it.

There's no coin involved. This kind of thing can be punched out in a machine shop.

What gets me is that NGC will attribute this "bow tie" which (obviously) hasn't gone through the upsetting mill, but they won't attribute my blank that was recovered from a Mint bag of Lincoln cents.

Chris

The Philadelphia Mint occasionally hands out upset blanks in little plastic envelopes. Sometimes they are paired with a normal cent. I have several sitting around someplace.

The Philadelphia Mint occasionally hands out upset blanks in little plastic envelopes. Sometimes they are paired with a normal cent. I have several sitting around someplace.

Blanks don't have an upset rim, planchets do!

Chris

Yep...."planchets" is the correct term.

[Or maybe the blanks were jiggled around too much and got sick and had upset stomachs....?]

[Or maybe the blanks were jiggled around too much and got sick and had upset stomachs....?]

Yeah, but you would think the stomach would settle down after a while.

Chris

According to my eBay history, I bought set of a Roosevelt dime type II blank and a piece of Roosevelt dime webbing (unattached) for six bucks in Nov. 2014. Don't know if that helps.

I bought it just as a curiosity. But ultimately I think it's just a piece of waste material.

To Add: Both the blank and webbing were not encapsulated.