• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

recommended product....

18 posts in this topic

I just received this device.....

snaps photos on what ever it is looking at and saves them to computer..... no squinting, no loop.... no battery. 15 dollars, zoomed in on product. My DDR dime that i wanted graded, not DDR.... if anyone has questions about it let me know....BTW i do not sell them, or own companies... just like it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261752772083?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Curious to see this...I myself need to upgrade with something beyond my digital camera as it's really not cutting the chase. Have goodies to share and questions to ask with some pieces out of my collection; but can't capture the necessary resolution and quality necessary for informed feedback.

thought this walking liberty 1928-S may be an inverted mint mark

GV1kz6FzQeKsdGJDDHKx_Thu%20Jan%2007%2020-30-43.jpg

here is a purple toned lincoln penny

EM7cuibATW2pCLvZCPrG_Thu%20Jan%2007%2020-35-27.jpg

A Low grade 1936 DDO Mercury dime

txtUgKhsQKCUNffU9vwc_Thu%20Jan%2007%2020-39-49.jpg

these are all in flips btw. images may look better if coins were loose. Toning on 800x is not particularly impressive. looks better on 20x

I paid hundreds of dollars for a digital microscope device, and it has been a severe disappointment. The software does not work with it, and my wife, who is computer savvy, has tried repeatedly to get it to work for more than a few days without success.

Even when it did work the color was never right. I ended up changing most pictures to black and white to make them useable.

This was the machine, called "Dynolite" that was sold at the major shows like FUN. They show it running great at the shows, but you get it home, it doesn't work. I've asked for help at the shows, but got no support. I asked the people there when you could buy the lights that made their camera work so well, but they could not give me any answers.

Thus is a product to be avoided. It does not work, and you get no meaningful tech support.

Maybe $17 is okay for this camera if it is, but don't spend hundreds.

Shows very good detail with what you are describing, and I don't have to guess as to what I am viewing. I'm on the same page with you on your picture and description. Overall, good product for the monies you spent! However, it would be nice to get some original color and sheen with these coins...only quality lacking in my opinion. You did good with money spent.

This product has a constantly illuminated light when plugged into USB port on PC, even when program is not used. Also at best you are only ever going to see maybe 20 percent of even the smallest coin when zoomed in at 20X the ability to generate "original color" cant be done. Representation of color at this magnification is probably unrealistic, let alone at the 800X magnification this claims to achieve. I think this is primarily a tool for detail.

But I agree with Pocketart!!! I like my acquisition and since it has its own mount the images are stable. I would like a taller mount for it though

Try using Photoshop to reduce the contrast. That will often reveal more detail. Also, if the camera allows it, turn off automatic sharpening - that is actually degrading the quality of the images. Still -- for $15 you can have more fun with it than with a slabbed 1969 cent.

Here is another that a friend recommended which has the added convenience of having a copy stand. The advantage of the unit in the OPs post is that it is already located in the lower 48, although they were both surely manufactured in the same country.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311429475232?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A medical friend sometimes lets me use her proctoscope for coin photos. Works great except for the .... well, this is a family message board.

A medical friend sometimes lets me use her proctoscope for coin photos. Works great except for the .... well, this is a family message board.

Roger, they've just gotten around to making curved coins, and now you want them to do what?!!

Chris

These and many other knock-off version are available from China and Korea. I've tried Dynolite and a couple of others but did not feel any of them met my needs.

Some of the VAMpires post excellent photos. Maybe John ('messydesk') can chip in with their photo techniques.

In a pinch I have put a loupe in front of my phone (Iphone in this case) camera.

Tough to get much lower budget than that, heck you could even use a flip phone if you wanted, or some of you could even duct tape a point and shoot to your brick phones.

eacf0124-fe1e-4d18-adfa-060472e9cdc7_zpscn3fankm.jpg