• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FSH: The Early Coins of America by Sylvester Crosby - Original Edition - Reduced

14 posts in this topic

As the title states, I have an original edition of Sylvester Crosby's Early Coins of America, published in 1875, available for sale. Though the book is ex. library – Onondaga County Public Library, in Syracuse, New York – beyond the expected library markings (one perforated on the title page) and moderate signs of use, it is in rather good condition, with a few light annotations and 6 missing tissue guards being the only other issues of note.

Voted No. 2 on the Numismatic Bibliomania Society’s “One Hundred Greatest Items of United States Numismatic Literature”, where it is stated that “Crosby’s dive into the primary source documentation surrounding colonial issues is beyond remarkable, particularly in light of the lack of modern bibliographic resources. Coupled with his observant technical eye and capable cataloguing, this work is properly described by Davis as “the masterpiece of nineteenth century numismatic literature.”

The Numismatic Bibliomania Society’s wiki page on the subject estimates the surviving number of originals at approximately 100. Now is your chance to secure one for yourself, at a price virtually unheard of - $600, including delivery!

Crosby_01_zpsfrghvi0p.jpg

Crosby_05_zpscmtp3vls.jpg

Crosby_02_zps0ns7sa0p.jpg

Crosby_03_zpshyud2fgw.jpg

Crosby_04_zpsrbzzccst.jpg

Terms

Delivery by USPS Media Mail is included in listed prices. Shipping charge will be dependent upon the weight and size of book(s) purchased. Care is always taken in packing, to ensure that the books arrive at your mailbox in the same condition they left mine. Payment by Paypal (please add 3% or send as gift), check or Postal MO is gladly accepted. In the case of payment by check or money order, I will ship the books after the payment has cleared.

All items are sold with a 5 day return period, assuming the condition is as stated in this listing. Buyer pays return shipping.

References

Collector's Universe Forum References:

Purchased From – Mistercoinman, Coiny, Coinfolio, ProfHaroldHill, GotTheBug, RichieUrich, 410a, Gerard, PreTurb, Barndog

Sold To – okiedude, RichieUrich, PreTurb, numisma, splitaces, tydye, breakdown, ranshdow, robertpr, bidask, johntookit, Aethelred

Collector's Society Forum References:

Purchased From – DaveG, RichH

Sold To – Deerefan8420, RichH, Ugakoivet, wdrob

Cointalk Forum References:

Sold To- Mainebill, PennyGuy, jmon, treylxapi47, Ed Sims, jaceravone, Nuglet, vpr, jester3681

Thank you for your consideration,

Jesse

if this didn't sell I'd be interested for it's reference value but at more like a hundred dollars. No disrespect, I'm not a book collector and have no idea of it's book collector value, but in this condition I don't think it is worth as much. It would be a good reference for my personal library, please forgive the offer if you see it as a lowball, it isn't intended that way....