• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How did you do in 2015 on completing the set(s) you are working on?

12 posts in this topic

Given that it's the end of 2015, how did you do on filling in or completing the set(s) you are working on?

For myself, the three big additions (unfortunately no decent pix of them) were an 1858-O Seated Liberty half dollar in MS64 for the 1858 business strike set, a PR66BN IHC for the 1893 proof set (no gold), and a 1953-D MS66FBL Franklin (an upgrade) for the Franklin business strike set.

The Franklin set has been completed for some years now, except for the occasional upgrade. The 1893 proof set just needs a cameo Barber quarter. The 1858 business strike set still has a long way to go.

I added a couple to my "Symphony Set", and created my new "A King's Ransom" and added 50 coins to that set in 2015. Because both are custom sets that are theme based, neither will ever be "complete", but I made some fun additions and plan to continue doing that.

The only competitive set I add to occasionally that could ever be complete would be the 100 Greatest US Modern Coins set. But by the time I get close to finishing that, they'll release another edition with a few changes and I'll have to work on catching up. :)

Stand still.

Blew some money on shipping and insurance to take a look at a coin in a coin swap negotiation, but backed out when the coin I received didn't measure up.

Would have been a terrible outcome for me in terms of coin value, but would have brought me one step closer to one of the versions of The Quintessential Existential Hundred Year 14 Coin US Gold Type Set that I wrote about on this forum.

So my collection remains just an Essential Hundred Year 14 Coin US Gold Type Set, which ain't too shabby. (14 coins, 7 mints, 99 years, at least one coin in each decade, but lacks "quintessential existential" coherence that I'm obsessed with.)

I wonder if I'll ever pull it off.

(Wish my mortgage was paid off; priorities need to take precedence, and coin collecting has me questioning reality.)

Well....considering that I just came back on the Registry in November, I don't feel that I did too bad. I put some Competitive Sets back up in the Chile, Germany and Turkey areas of the Registry and started a new international Custom Set that currently has 39 coins. That set has become my new main focus and it may never be done, so like Alan said about his sets, it will likely never be complete. So it's hard to gauge meeting goals there. But by simply being back here in this great community once again, I feel that I have achieved my main coin goal for 2015!

Happy New Year everyone!!

~Tom

Would have been a terrible outcome for me in terms of coin value, but would have brought me one step closer to one of the versions of The Quintessential Existential Hundred Year 14 Coin US Gold Type Set that I wrote about on this forum.

That post was one of the most interesting posts of the entire year.

I refocused my collecting by selling a lot of coins that did not fit in my collection. I vowed to complete my toned Walker short set before moving on to anything else. I added a few really nice examples to that set. You can check that set out by clicking the link below.

I was able to add a R9 store card to my Jackson, Michigan set. Still need eight more of the 29 pieces total. I'm not holding my breath. Of the eight I still need, six are R9's and two R10's.

2015 was a nice year, added coins to some of my year sets and added a few long sought after Lincolns. Just one more Lincoln to complete the 09-58 portion, maybe it will come along in 2016.

I bought one bust half for my type set. Only made one show all year. I hope to do better this year. Actually this week at Fun. Wish me luck.

Thinking about starting a new series. Not sure yet ...maybe a mint set 1888..I have a really nice 1888 Morgan I got from Mark few years ago. Nice start

Sold the Old Pueblo Liberty Nickel set and almost broke even. If was huge fun for me.

Never expected to profit, and....AND is this one bidder had paid up on my 1888, 1894, and 1912s I would have actually made a little.