• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsterman

15 posts in this topic

One of the first coins I purchased when I first started collecting was this piece:

1936norcomp.jpg

Purchased from Mark Feld (NGC MS68). Mark Goodman image.

At that time monsterman was one of the experts posting on this forum around the early commemorative coin series as well as other subjects.

monsterman, Gregg Bingham's, writing was very enlightening to me around this series and others as well.

I have Gregg's permission to use his posts from the NGC Forum as well as the PCGS Forum in my book. I will dedicate a whole chapter to his writings.

Should be very interesting and possibly the best chapter in my book.

:)

Here is one of Gregg's posts:

Posted: 2/11/2002 1:17 AM Topic: Can Pop 1 Coins Really Last -1- Day Honestly?? Read This

mitch this is gregg bingham here...as you can see ( or maybe cannot see..no im not an MIB)today was my first post.....i see i cant see my " glasses " either so alittle help would be great...i also am not an top quality scan and pic guy and cant get around on these computers as id like yet ...ill try to send the board a quarter ( 1949 ms 68* )to see...remeber this is just a test to see if i can do it ( both taking the pic and getting it on here )

ttyl

gregg

Beautiful condition of an ugly design!

There are worse designs in the series. Old Spanish Trail, Wisconsin and Washington-Carver come to mind. Also the Rhode Island which as some awkward looking figures on it.

It is interesting to note that the artist who designed Norfolk also did the Roanoke and the Antietam which were good and excellent in my opinion.

Yep. "Commemorative" does not ensure quality as Iowa, Columbia SC, and many modern designs testify....

Still - the nice condition is a benefit.

Nice one Lee. Greg is still around...I see him at the Long Beach show...he has a table.

jom

Yes you can often find some of his coins displayed at Bonnie Sabel's table at LB. Gregg is one of my two mentors and half of my commem collections is Bingham Pedigree. He has been great to me

mark

Thanks all for the comments.

Gregg is top shelf as most have already noted.

Getting my book ready for peer review now.

Shooting for printing first or second quarter this year. :)

Thanks all for the comments.

Gregg is top shelf as most have already noted.

Getting my book ready for peer review now.

Shooting for printing first or second quarter this year. :)

Great LEE!

mark

Beautiful condition of an ugly design!

There are worse designs in the series. Old Spanish Trail, Wisconsin and Washington-Carver come to mind. Also the Rhode Island which as some awkward looking figures on it.

It is interesting to note that the artist who designed Norfolk also did the Roanoke and the Antietam which were good and excellent in my opinion.

I think the obverse is yeah, barely passable, but I like the reverse, not just in comparison to other commems.

Some I think are straight up bad. Especially the ones that are too busy.

Here is another quote:

Posted: 8/5/2002 8:53 PM, Topic: What satisfaction do you get knowing you have the best registered set.

AND NOW A LITTLE DITTY FOR ALL..YOU CAN COMPETE..NO MATTER WHAT YOUR BUGET IS!!!!!

FACT: there is a phenomenon called gradeflation

FACT: for example a coin ( any coin in general ) that has a pop of 10 ...the 2 best of the 10 can and will upgrade someday

FACT: the worst 2 of the 10 can downgrade if you were dumb enough to crack em out and resubmit them

FACT: the middle 6 will stay the same grade that being said collect the most "pq" coins you can in what ever grade your buget will allow................

and if your good and you stay in the hobby a while YOU WILL BE HANDSOMELY REWARDED ....NO MATTER WHAT YOUR BUGET IS!!!!!just by the mere fact of gradeflation.......it is the markets way of rewarding a good numismatist who stays around for a while

that being said if you think you can build a great set for your buget in a few years your kidding your self .....that goes for the # 1 sets all the way down to the last ranked set........there is great compedition out there no matter what your buget but you have to be good at it

you guys who think you can do it in a few years ....your dreaming!!!dont let your ego cost you money you guys who are good numismatists and stay around for a while...as i said you will be rewarded here is what i do.........i buy only "pq" coins and i pay premiums for them ..nice coins arent cheap and cheap coins arent nice...YOU WILL BE REWARDED IN TIME!!!!!

there was a guy named bob who flashed in to the morgan market ..........he is still on the all time list........he collected for about 3 years ....his dealer got him some nice coins to be sure...but i can assure you 3 years is not enough.....his dealer also got him into several "just made it coins".....you know ....the ones that will down grade....some would be 50,000 hits.........so his end result was less than steller and he did indeed lose money.....when he sold some of his coins were on the market for over a year....he did take a bath

he was pretty proud of himself until he tried to cash out....his dealer was pretty proud too..............to be quite frank they got on my nerves with the ego thing and all

so i solved it..........i challenged him to a break out contest....where i put up 100,000 and so did he ..........then all of our coins went into any grading service of his choice.....the one who did the best net grading ( 10 upgrades and 3 downgrades type of thing) won all the money..... HE PASSED...........duh ...he would of gotten slaughtered

my set is gone now ....but several coins sold for double and triple sheet bids....in fact so far over 50 have been upgraded......some are now pop 1...........like i said his would get slaughtered if regraded.....THE DUMB THING ABOUT IT IS his set is still ranked in the top 5 all time set..........but it cost him a coupla hundred grand to stroke his ego...........and i made a coupla hundred grand...now that a 400,000 difference..........i think i`ll take the money and the knowledge that my peers knew where my set was ranked ....even though the "registry system " didnt have a clue so you see you all can compete ..SO BUY QUALITY

one more thing chaping my rear...........color coins....i love them....thats my thing ....i love them......and so do a ton of people....problem is the registry " cant rank them " with a number...so the ones with the huge egos saying i got the # 1 set because you have a this grade average or that average......please dont be foolish enough to think your ms 69 pop 1 oregon puts you ahead of the class.......i have seen several ms 68 coins that are much better ......not because i say so but because they have cost more money in the market place ....and it says so

hey mr # 1 registry guy........i have seen a lot of little guys who have great looking collections .....who have worked hard at it and have their own master pieces AND YOU BETTER GIVE HIM HIS DO!!!!........YOU BETTER BE CAREFULL AS THE LITTLE GUY MIGHT JUST CHALLENGE TO MY " BREAK OUT REGRADE GAME "............could be for a 1,000 or so.......what ever he can afford..........so GIVE THE LITTLE GUY HIS DO!! you could get smoked

and if the 1,000 game isnt high enough for ya ...get me a call !!!

ttyl

gregg

Gregg_Bingham_Isabella_ComboA_1.jpg

A Gregg Bingham coin in NGC MS-67*.