• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My coins don't fit the registry

10 posts in this topic

I thought I would add my coins to the Registry but there is no place for my PL comem's. Also no place for my gold Classic head coins either. Oh well!!!

The Classic Head gold can be used in the Gold Type Set 1834-1933. I think that the PL commems (not sure) can be listed in the 50 piece commem Type set.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Prooflike commemoratives 1892-1954 don't have a separate competition slot in the type and date sets, but they are scored differently. Just submit the coins as what they are, and NGC's registry service people can enter them correctly.

Thanks, for such a quick response! I now have my 5 PL Comems in the registry. Now I need to get the photo's added!

Help me out Banknote1 - I was not aware of a special designation for PL commems. Is this a common/uncommon attribute (uncommon I suppose)? Do you primarily search for such coins already in slabs or in the raw? Are these coins only recently recognized for this attribute?

Thanks, Hoot.

I guess I need to post some photos. I will try to get a couple of the coins posted here.

NGC will give the PL on comems., I don't think PCGS does this. Some of the coins look like proofs to me, like the Columbian halfs. Others like the BTW's have very little contrast between devices, and because of thier irregular surfaces they don't have that mirror you would expect to see. They are just shiney all over. You can check the NGC census for the numbers that they have graded. I have a 1949 BTW that has only 8 graded. The 1892 Columbian is the most common, I think there have been 300+ graded.

The PL designation can be found on Isabella Quarters, Boone Halfs, BTW's, Columbian, Cincinnati, Delaware, Lincoln, Maine, Rhode Island, Roanoke, San Diego, Texas, and Wash-Carver's.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC has been recognizing PL surfaces on classic commemoratives for several years. These are listed as separate line items in our online and hardcopy Census.

Thanks Banknote1 abd Dave Lange. Since I don't concentrate on commems, I've missed this along the way. Now I'll keep my eyes peeled! laugh.gif

Hoot