• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Penny For My Thoughts! posted by E4norbi

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Upgrading the coins of my youth and a Christmas wish for everyone.

Merry Christmas everyone!

There seems to be something strange when you are sitting on a back porch on Christmas Eve in short sleeves putting a journal entry together.

Looking back on the last year, we'll make that the last two years, my coins have proved to be quite the calming sanctuary for me. I started collecting graded coins in 2009 but my love of the hobby goes back to my youth, almost 50 years ago. It was all folders back then and while I love the added thrill of finding nice graded coins, I have to admit I still love my raw sets. Of course, my very first folder was Lincoln Cents. I upgraded the folder to an album over the years but that set is still my passion. I don't believe any of the original coins I had are still part of that set. Over the years I have devoted a good bit of time to upgrading the collection. Fortunately, it hasn't been an expensive endeavor. That being said, I just recently upgraded a few more coins in the collection to mint state red. My set is now red and shiny all the way back 1936 with even a few earlier red examples. It may not seem like a lot in the grand scheme of things but I can't help smiling every time I open the album. The set is nearly complete as well only missing a few of the big dollar coins. Right now, I'm on the hunt for a nice red 1931 S. Needless to say, I am trying to save up enough money to afford one. I'm not there yet but am working on it.

Another raw set that has grown over the last year is my Franklin halves. Depressed silver prices have really helped out a lot. I don't need too many more to complete the set and then I can start upgrading that set as well. I'm hoping inflation doesn't kick in too soon so silver prices remain depressed for a while longer anyway.

Well, so long for now and again, I want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas!

The picture attached is my Lincoln Cent album opened to the the earliest of my shiny red pennies!

See more journals by E4norbi