• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Emptied" mintmarks

9 posts in this topic

There are thousands of US coin varieties labeled as "filled mintmark" or something similar. This is taken to mean that on a coin the central part of a mintmark letter, such as 'D,' is no longer incuse but is partially or completely filled with metal.

As you think about these, remember that on the die, the central part of a mintmark, 'D,' is raised (in relief) and the letter outline is incuse. Thus, a 'D' that looks filled on a coin actually has the central relief partially or completely missing. (I.e., damage to a die, not filling of the die.

(The 1922 no D cent is an example of a filled mintmark on the die.)

Hence, maybe they should be called "emptied mintmarks" ? ;)

I've always assumed that the term "filled mintmark" referred to the coin and the optimist's view of the coin.

With that said, maybe we should consider an "emptied mintmark" the pessimists view of the coin.

Chris

This made me think about the 1979 proof sets with Type I (blob) mint mark and the Type II (clear S) mint marks. You could have a 'filled' or 'empty' S (most coveted) on the type II as there is enough space between the serifs to fill, especially with worn dies.

There are some interesting glass medals out there!

Interesting. Never seen one. Got pics?

Jason, I'll bet if you searched long enough, you'd find a medal for Corning glass works.

Chris