• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Metal Detect Find Today, not bad...

26 posts in this topic

1910-S wheat cent in AMAZINGLY GOOD condition, very little wear, just well-preserved in the ground the past 90+ years. That's gotta be a $15-20 coin I think. Maybe I can get a decent picture later...

1910-S wheat cent in AMAZINGLY GOOD condition, very little wear, just well-preserved in the ground the past 90+ years. That's gotta be a $15-20 coin I think. Maybe I can get a decent picture later...

Good for you, TJ!

Some years back, vacationers were snorkeling in shallow water on the south end of Sanibel Island, FL near the lighthouse. One of them spotted a shiny object which turned out to be Spanish Gold. They started searching the area and found another, then another, and so on. The water was only neck deep, so they were able to stand and see the trail they had created. Anyway, they found $5 million in gold. The state got their share, the feds got their luxury tax and the vactaioners walked away with about $2 million more than they arrived with.

Chris

Hey, didn't you need that coin for your collection?

Great story CPM!

Truth, I have a 1910-S already but without even checking I'm certain this one is in better condition.

Where? What bit of history might it have been associated with?

Hoot

In a rustic park in San Jose. The park at the turn of the century and into the 1920's was a popular mineral bath destination, complete with natatorium, hotel, a small zoo, etc. We have found several silver coins and IH cents ranging in dates from 1865 on. My wife dug up a 192x-something peace dollar there a few months back!

Today the park is a wildlife refuge full of nature trails. We search ancient picnic grounds and the like. Many of the best finds have come at or in the creek that winds through the park. Coins lodge up against a crevice and stay there years and years. I found a 1909 dime underneath a bridge that had a cornerstone dating 1909. Perhaps a worker dropped it during construction?

TJ,

Great story!!! I love stories like these. Thanks for sharing! The history of the park is the icing.

thumbsup2.gif

Another cool find, TJ! Man, I need to go detecting down there. This was our best find from Saturday...

751142-Erifle.jpg

BigE was sure it was a rifle. foreheadslap.gif Another friend told me yesterday that it is most likely some kind of counterweight they used on old windows.

751142-Erifle.jpg.b7b160c2cd48578c8e5f7e2db555bc26.jpg

That's pretty darn cool, TJ! smile.gif If any copper coin were in the ground up around here, with all our acidic pine and oak, the thing would be quite corroded by now.

Spiny, it looks to me like you found a flat rock! 893whatthe.gif

I had a guy bring in a Moffatt $5 gold that he dug in his yard in Sonora, CA.

We were BOTH sick. He hit it DIRECTLY in the obverse middle with his shovel. A GASH ....and..... a goodly bend.

Waaaaaaahhhhhh !!!!!!!

foreheadslap.gif

We were BOTH sick. He hit it DIRECTLY in the obverse middle with his shovel. A GASH ....and..... a goodly bend.

Waaaaaaahhhhhh !!!!!!!

foreheadslap.gif

OUCH!!!

I've heard that some of the newer detectors on the market can approximate size and depth from the "hit". Does anyone know if this is true?

Chris

Waaaaaaahhhhhh !!!!!!!

foreheadslap.gif

OUCH!!!

I've heard that some of the newer detectors on the market can approximate size and depth from the "hit". Does anyone know if this is true?

Chris

The better detectors will tell you, fairly precisely, what kind of coin (or trash) it is (zinc, copper, silver, nickel, pulltab) and how deep approximately (1-2 inches, 3-4, 6-8" etc). It's hard not to dig the junk signals because often rings, bracelets etc read as pulltab junk. But coin ID-ing is pretty accurate. I'll say to my hunting partner "hmmm, sounds like a clad quarter at 2 inches" and be right a lot of the time.

What does a reasonably good detector cost nowadays? What brands are best?

Hoot

The good ones are between $700-800 new. I like Fisher because some are very simple to use. Other very good ones require you to play with the settings too much for my tastes. If my tax refund ever arrives, I'm going to buy a Fisher CZ-70 Pro from this guy. It's very plug-n-play. The Fisher Coinstrike is also excellent but has a huge learning curve.

cz70pro.jpg

TJ, I've always heard that White is the best brand. What do you think?

EZ, yes, most guys I know swear by the White's, I forgot the initials, DFX or something. Apparently they are excellent machines but require programming by the user. I'm not into programming because I just don't understand SENS and THRESHOLD. I read and read on the MD forums about it and I have a Fisher Coinstrike which I am giving up on because of the confusion of finding the right settings. Guys on the forum argue back and forth about the best settings 5/-25 or 6/-30 etc and discuss ground mineralization like geologists. Give me the Fisher CZ series. I've made some great coin finds with it and I don't have to fiddle with settings. But yes, White's makes the best or 2nd best, next to Fisher based on testimonials.

Thanks for the info, TJ. I want to get one sooner than later since I am living in Tonopah, NV. There are old mining towns all over the place around here.

Does the Fisher CZ series differentiate between junk and coins, etc?

Victor, Fishers link for most of their detectors, Whites product line and Tesoro detectors (a third choice for one). Kinda like the big three TPGs! Should find something to fit your needs from one of them! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Wanted to ask you tj, what you think any of the modern detectors available would register this find as...3 dimes in a metal bottle cap then wrapped in tin foil!?!?!? Way back in the early 70's, I had a Whites that didn't have any discriminator curcuitry back then, so if I ever decide to buy another, I'd like to know if yours would "read" this as junk or...? Can you do a test for me and let me know? My find was at a depth of about 2".

Thanks!!! thumbsup2.gif

Wanted to ask you tj, what you think any of the modern detectors available would register this find as...3 dimes in a metal bottle cap then wrapped in tin foil!?!?!? Way back in the early 70's, I had a Whites that didn't have any discriminator curcuitry back then, so if I ever decide to buy another, I'd like to know if yours would "read" this as junk or...? Can you do a test for me and let me know? My find was at a depth of about 2".

Thanks!!! thumbsup2.gif

confused.gifHomework? 893whatthe.gif

I bought my Mom a detector for Christmas. I cant wait to go out and do a little digging with her. That is if the ground ever thaws out wink.gif