• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1797 Large Cent

8 posts in this topic

I picked this up at a recent show. This coin is not valuable of course but I'm new to old copper and curious if there is anything obvious, recognizing the limitations of non-professional pictures, that would result in a "details" grade if sent for grading.

Thanks

--Matt

159485.jpg.c46e51d83bcabd6ca1380164ff7141f1.jpg

159486.jpg.d858b64e5adef13cbcebad52288361a0.jpg

EAC (Early American Coppers) collectors would like this coin a lot better than the grading services. All of the design is visible, and the environmental damage is not excessive. Whether or not it will grade is dicey. On a lucky day you could get a Good out of it, why bother? This coin should enjoyed raw.

Looks like a metal detector find. With the porosity it would probably be net graded. A coin like this is not worth the expense of getting it slabbed. Early copper collectors usually prefer to have their coins raw so they can be admired unencumbered with plastic.

I sent the large cent below because it is an 1823/2. It has some residue on the obverse at about 1 o'clock, but is also pitted like yours. This one received a VF Details grade, which is appropriate IMO. The pitting isn't as severe on mine so I think you will definitely get a details grade. Like BillJones stated, enjoy it raw.

image_zpsavldl8zz.jpg

image_zpsagj2eyc9.jpg

I decided to submit anyway to see what I got. The more I looked around I found many coins that looked worse than mine in straight grade slabs.

Bill called it, straight grade Good 4 BN. It does not have any value, but I'm pleased I was able to pick up a raw coin that had sufficient condition to grade. I'm new to late 1700's copper. Again, perhaps limitations of iPhone pics.