• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post a Favorite Liberty Seated Variety of Any Denomination

19 posts in this topic

Here is my starter...an 1849 liberty seated half dollar form the Philadelphia mint with drastically doubled date. In addition to the doubled date, it also has the lower loop of an errant 9 protruding from under the base above the primary 49 and another upper loop of an errant 9 in the dentils below the primary 9. Yes, she is quite a grey Lady Liberty.

866903001a_zpsczzph8yh.jpg

1849DDD_zpsk5amnivn.jpg

866903001b_zpsqjh9wvgr.jpg

The 1853 arrows & rays is my favorite Liberty Seated design. I've got both half dollars (O and P).

Recently bought this raw quarter:

1853%20Seated%20Liberty%20Quarter%203_zpsoyjfihs5.jpg

1853%20Seated%20Liberty%20Quarter%206_zps013kzmje.jpg

I like the (AU?) details. But I don't think it'll win any awards.

Die cracks:

1853%20Seated%20Liberty%20Quarter%205_zpspyy4zfbi.jpg

1853%20Seated%20Liberty%20Quarter%207_zpsfpnejq3e.jpg

Die clashing on both sides too.

Errors like these are not uncommon on Liberty Seated coins?

I sold mine a few years ago but I had a nice 1853/4 error (stock photo below). I wrote about this before but I acquired this coin when I was in elementary school mowing lawns. The owner knew I loved coins and offered the coin as payment. I kept it for 30+ years and happened to look at it again 5 or so years ago. I had looked at this coin a million times over the years but came across an article about the 53/4 error. I took a closer look and by God I had it...I submitted for grading and it came back XF45. I sold it to buy an Indian Quarter Eagle and this reignited my collecting interests.

159487.jpg.71167eec2c5e4c0e843814cd7792416d.jpg

I have an XF-40 1853 arrows and rays half featuring the double die reverse variety.

Yours is a moderately worn example of DDR FS-801. There have only been 16 of these certified, NGC and PCGS combined, to date. Just a few weeks ago, we featured this die variety in our Coin of the Month article on the DM Rare Coins Blog.

Wear seems to quickly obscure the doubling on FS-801, but crisp like the coin below examples show enough bold doubling on U.S.A and other features, such as the wing feathers, arrows, dentils, and HALF, to make this variety stand out from the other 1853 DDR halves, and also make you wonder why the Cherrypicker's Guide says "spread on UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, but very little doubling elsewhere." A very under-rated variety.

1853r15.198z_zpsqzsvi9ln.jpg

1853r15.198h_zpsxbogbotc.jpg

1853r15.198of_zpso6krnzgg.jpg

1853r15.198j_zpsqvtrjwxg.jpg

I have an XF-40 1853 arrows and rays half featuring the double die reverse variety.

Yours is a moderately worn example of DDR FS-801. There have only been 16 of these certified, NGC and PCGS combined, to date. Just a few weeks ago, we featured this die variety in our Coin of the Month article on the DM Rare Coins Blog.

Wear seems to quickly obscure the doubling on FS-801, but crisp like the coin below examples show enough bold doubling on U.S.A and other features, such as the wing feathers, arrows, dentils, and HALF, to make this variety stand out from the other 1853 DDR halves, and also make you wonder why the Cherrypicker's Guide says "spread on UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, but very little doubling elsewhere." A very under-rated variety.

While mine is graded by NGC, it is not attributed. I wonder how many of these, like mine, are graded by NGC and PCGS but not attributed.

Gary

Bill's two beauties bracket the denomination spectrum of liberty seated coins. It is especially nice to see such a great example of Gobrecht's "Big Bird" and I certainly see why he fell in love with the little Lady Liberty as well.

Many people do not realize Christian Gobrecht was quite an accomplished engraver and medalist. Here is a "seated" obverse design of the award medal he prepared for the Massachusetts Charitable Mechanic Association. At 39mm, very close to the size of his Gobrecht Dollar. The C.GOBRECHT.F. punch, pointing index finger, sandaled foot and famous Gobrecht nose all look very similar well. These medals were struck by the Philadelphia mint from about 1837 until 1891.

1844a_zpscc5dfunz.jpg

1844oCLOSE_zpswbn38opw.jpg

Thanks to coinman1794 for more of his imaging.

Probably my favorite since I purchased her raw with the stipulation that if she came back with a "details" moniker that the seller would take her back...she came out with a straight AU58. CAC later approved of her as well.

1845H10CRPDFS-302FS-0007.jpg