• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toning that makes you go "hmmmmm...."

37 posts in this topic

I have seen a few of these toned Prez $1 proofs popping up lately in PCGS straight-grade holders. But as for a Specimen 1998-S Kennedy? Now that is the first toned one I have ever seen, let alone slabbed as NT. The toning on the Kennedy is more suspect to me than on the Prez $1.

I have been keeping close tabs on edynamicmarketing on eBay, as they seem to be becoming a toner player as of late. Careful, as much of their raw stuff wouldn't grade. I have no idea if they came into a hoard or if there is foul play, but most of their coins on eBay right now wouldn't pass at PCGS. And less likely at NGC - you guys are right; NGC is stricter on modern toners for sure!

I have seen a few of these toned Prez $1 proofs popping up lately in PCGS straight-grade holders. But as for a Specimen 1998-S Kennedy? Now that is the first toned one I have ever seen, let alone slabbed as NT. The toning on the Kennedy is more suspect to me than on the Prez $1.

I have been keeping close tabs on edynamicmarketing on eBay, as they seem to be becoming a toner player as of late. Careful, as much of their raw stuff wouldn't grade. I have no idea if they came into a hoard or if there is foul play, but most of their coins on eBay right now wouldn't pass at PCGS. And less likely at NGC - you guys are right; NGC is stricter on modern toners for sure!

I'd bet every coin I have that edynamicmarketing's coins are being cooked up and made by whoever owns that account... It blows my mind that someone would put so many of the exact same artificially toned coins on the market at one time, and then claim that they are "naturally toned" .. its idiotic... IMO. Hopefully nobody around here is paying premiums for that garbage.

I'd bet every coin I have that edynamicmarketing's coins are being cooked up and made by whoever owns that account... It blows my mind that someone would put so many of the exact same artificially toned coins on the market at one time, and then claim that they are "naturally toned" .. its idiotic... IMO. Hopefully nobody around here is paying premiums for that garbage.

Agreed... with both of you... and IMHO the JFK is AT and shouldnt be considered MA.

I'm not a fan of either of these toned coins. Looks like the Kennedy went for $835. I'm not an experienced collector of toned coins. I do own a few, none that I would consider monsters. When I first saw the coin in the OP's link, I was immediately skeptical.

Always something to learn. I've enjoyed reading the thoughts and comments by the posters in this thread.

I have actually been buying from Edynamicmarketing for quite some time now and have accumulated a very nice collection of 38 beautiful toners. Every time I have sent them in they come back slabbed and graded from PCGS and NGC. I have yet to send the toners in to ANACS. Y'all should really give them a shot!

I have actually been buying from Edynamicmarketing for quite some time now and have accumulated a very nice collection of 38 beautiful toners. Every time I have sent them in they come back slabbed and graded from PCGS and NGC. I have yet to send the toners in to ANACS. Y'all should really give them a shot!

Thank you for your enlightening and eye opening post (and I say that genuinely and not facetiously).