• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Update on 2005 Jeff "P-Bag"!

10 posts in this topic

Well, I've finished examining 2000 nickels. None of them will grade 65 or better. If I were an optimist, there might be 5 that will grade 64. To be perfectly honest, most higher grade AU's are in better condition than the rest.

On the obverse, the high points of the chin, jaw, cheek, nose and eyebrow take the biggest hits. Heavy abrasions and/or scrapes are the general rule on the chin and eyebrow. Multiple deep gouges seem to be normal on most. Occasionally I would find a coin where the devices were relatively free of marks only to find gouges in the field and across the lettering that you can see from 3' away.

Oddly enough, the reverse of most of them are pretty clean. Only an occasional scratch to be found. Almost no abrasions. I don't know why, but the rim on the reverse is really mangled as though they were dragged across the face of a rasp. I snagged my cotton gloves on many of them and made it a point to note which side was responsible.

As a result, I have composed a letter to send to Henrietta Holsman Fore suggesting that she get rid of the old, worn-out equipment and fire all of the employees who hate their jobs.

Chris

Chris, you're right on the money, pardon the pun, with your assesment. I just finished looking through a 500 Denver bag and drew the same conclusions. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I have picked 9 nickels that might grade 66. Either way, MS67s look to be rare in this series.

-mark

Chris, you're right on the money, pardon the pun, with your assesment. I just finished looking through a 500 Denver bag and drew the same conclusions. Maybe I'm being optimistic, but I have picked 9 nickels that might grade 66. Either way, MS67s look to be rare in this series.

-mark

Mark, my Denver bags are next for a closer examination. Then, maybe I'll crack the rolls.

Chris

-mark

Mark, my Denver bags are next for a closer examination. Then, maybe I'll crack the rolls.

Chris

I've never had good experiences with rolls. frown.gif

Hmmmm.... I found the same in my P and D rolls from the mint (cracked one of each open).

Will this help contribute to a huge upswing in value for 2005 proof sets, as sources of higher grade buffalo nickels?

The scarcity of higher-grade MS coins will have no effect on the value of Proofs. It will just drive prices higher for the higher-grade MS coins.

Chris

Chris:

Hmmm... Thanks for the tip on the other thread, that it will likely lead to some cutting open mint sets for the higher grade MS coins... I was not going to get any mint sets, instead focusing just on proof sets, but I think I'll now get some mint sets, too. Thanks!