• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can mottled toning on a Seated Liberty Half Dollar be removed?

2 posts in this topic

I just purchased a 1877-S Liberty Seated Half Dollar that has original mottled toning on it. It is a PCGS MS62. The toning hides the luster and also is unattractive. If I sent this coin to be conserved by NCS, do you think the mottled toning could be removed? Also, the edges of the rim has some nice light blue, green, and red toning. If this coin was dipped would this toning be gone too. Thanks. I will try to attach a obverse image of the coin. view.html?pic=22yeqp

It is difficult to give an evaluation without seeing the coin. From your description, I might be able to give you some thoughts but nothing defnitive.

Toning removal on a piece such as yours would depend on how deep the toning appears to be. From your description, I would summise that complete toning removal, although possible, would not be done on your coin.

We can address specific areas of a coin. I encourage you to note any specific concerns you may have on either the submission form or with a separate attached note. All requests are considered during the evaluation and conservation processes and all attempts are made to satisfy them.

You may also request to be contacted after the evaluation of your coin. This way we can discuss the suggested conservation and give you a better idea of what your coin will look like after conservation work.

Chris, NCS