• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1855 5 Franc coin?

9 posts in this topic

I just purchased this coin here....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Switzerland-5-francs-1855-VF-/231765618576?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=BiQRZQRqecV4CnRA6KPh12lspPI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I am just now getting into swiss coins as some of you know, but my question is this... did I get a good deal? I can only find one price that says VF20 $1200 but that makes me suspect I am not looking at the right coin or this is a fake, or something. I was the only bidder. What do you guys think? am I quoting an accurate price?

I'm certainly no expert on Swiss coins and my copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins is pretty old, but it also shows a $1200 price for a VF coin.

However, my book says that the 1855 5 Francs is a Shooting Taler with a lettered edge - yours appears to be reeded.

I would think that any decent seller would have shown the lettering - even if the rest of the edge is reeded.

Also, the color of the coin looks "wrong" to me for an 0.835 silver coin and the design of the 5s in the date don't appear "right" either.

If I were to win a four-figure coin (that's listed in the correct category and isn't totally obscure) for $100 and I was the only bidder, I would worry that the coin is "wrong."

Well, my first thought when I looked at the pictures of the coin were "modern Chinese counterfeit," given the soft details (look at the denticles on the reverse) and the reeded edge instead of the correct lettered edge.

The absence of other bidders and the wild mis-pricing are big red signals, in my view, too.

The raised lumps in the field in front of the face. below the L, between the L and V, on the drapery covering the legs, at 3,5, and 6 o'clock on the reverse combined with the porous surfaces have me pretty convinced you've bought a fake.

Congratulations on your refund.

I encourage you to wait to purchase more coins until you've had a chance to read the books you've ordered.