• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

October Was Too Late posted by Jackson

1 post in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Not that there was much at stake except my compulsion for order.

Well I finally acquired the mint sets and special issue gold coins to complete my 2 Canadian series I collect--the $2 Polar Bear coins and the 10c proofs. I was forced to buy the special issue 99.9% silver proof sets for 2013 and 2014 since Canada issued two proof sets on those years with the regular 92.5% silver and the "pure" special silver set ( where even the Loonie is solid silver.)

In addition, I acquired the hard to find 1996 Piefort Silver Twonie as well as the 1996 & 2000 gold Twonie issues ( raising funds by selling my PCGS gold 1996 and 2000 millennial gold coins.) Earlier in the year I had my 1999 Nunavat gold Twonie graded and filled all of the stray dates ( 2005, 2008 and replacing a lower grade 1998.)

Why did I go to this effort? I believe it is just a desire to have the sets "in order". I am not an avid modern set collector, maybe for this very reason, as it seems that as soon as I catch up on a series and fill all available slots, a new year is upon us or some special issue or commemorative to the set is added.

However I was determined to finally have both of these growing sets completed by the end of the registry year...oh well, the best laid plans. Mailed all of the coins away in a lot of 28 coins for grading. Invoiced on Oct 29th..received Nov 2nd...listed Nov 5th...grading finally on the 20th..QC on the 27th....and still in QC ( 12 working day tier with no special services, slabs, designations etc--just grading)

So I'm a bit upset--if it's going to take 4 to 5 weeks...just list a month+ turnaround, we can plan accordingly. I hope they just arrive in the next few weeks as I'll be leaving the country in a few weeks and I hate when valuable coin returns are sitting at the post office for extended periods of time.

I continue to buy, add to my "short sets" as now I've built an Indian short set and working on an SLQ short set ( to add to my buffalo, mercury and barber half short sets)--once completed I'll probably remove them from the registry and put them in my holdings as I start the next series ( thinking about a simple MS63 Peace dollar set)....Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all.......

One of my humble "brownie" indians

17093.jpg

See more journals by Jackson