• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2005 P "Humped Back Buffalo"

23 posts in this topic

Yep......you got the boot before we even got to see the coin.....so now I can dig one out real fast and then saw....you saw it HERE first 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Sorry couldn't resist...just kidding...I do want to see your buffalo with a tumor or whatever it is!!! thumbsup2.gif

Can't tell from his Larger Picture because it's the same size as his smaller picture. If I were to hasten a guess, it looks more like a filled die chip because it is on the very edge of the field adjacent to one of the design elements. Why would a Mint employee want to "polish" away part of the field? Anyway, polishing is only used on proof dies.

Chris

That's one little picture...I can barely see anything...but what I do see doesn't look like much.....I will agree it's most likely a minor error of sorts......good luck with that one 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Upon close examination you can clearly see the grinding marks with a 10X loupe.

I still think it's a filled die chip. Metal flow can sometimes rssemble grinding marks. There is still no reason for anyone to try to repair this area since it would change the design element drastically. They'd just pull the die from use.

Chris

Looks as if it were on the die before the design was made on it.

Sorry, Pat, I can't "buy" it. The Mint would have "pulled" the die. I would have to see a more detailed picture before coming to any conclusion. Look for my PM.

Good luck!

Chris

Well they didn't sell. Anyways, they will go out for certification. What is puzzling the area in question is not raised it is concaved with definite grind marks.

Well they didn't sell. Anyways, they will go out for certification. What is puzzling the area in question is not raised it is concaved with definite grind marks.

It is possible that a stray die chip adhered to the die long enough to produce the impression. I believe I mentioned to you the Proof Sac that I have with this error.

Chris

Cool any pictures? Sounds plausable but why the grind markings? Also, they are not flow lines within the area.

I'm not a picture-person, yet. What magnification are you using to view the area?