• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USNAF Certified Coin?

15 posts in this topic

Hello All!

I purchased this 1943-P Walking Liberty half about a year ago from a private seller. What caught my attention was the certification holder it was in; it was certified by "The United States Numismatic Arts Foundation." The coin was certified in February of 1987 by this organization. Their out of Santa Ana, California, according to the information on the holder. I could not find any information on this organization so must have been absorbed by another organization, or, are out of business. This holder is a real clunker! It's 3 1/2" wide 5" long and is composed of three 1/8" pieces of lucite that are sandwiching the Walking Liberty in a over sized rattler hole. It's an attractive certified coin display but the half is rather loose! Anyways, I'd appreciate any history on this organization and holder.

Below are pictures of the holder and the certification.

Thanks!

159243.jpg.21aa66998201b14aa09c7d025e615268.jpg

159244.jpg.41437342fdf5d62cf71c598f2fc051b6.jpg

159245.jpg.ce9052e8d13cdc744912c23f2b2598f4.jpg

159246.jpg.d2bde5fca2c8a223894fe758e5aed078.jpg

Interesting how they have their own grading scale and reference it to the Sheldon 70 point scale.

Holder is quite extravagant. It seems they would consume a lot of storage space. I think it would be cool to own one of these just for sh*ts and grins.

Interesting how they have their own grading scale and reference it to the Sheldon 70 point scale.

Holder is quite extravagant. It seems they would consume a lot of storage space. I think it would be cool to own one of these just for sh*ts and grins.

Contact Kittle Coins, Michael Kittle. 1881S Morgan.

Also, not location of the Entity.

Interesting, I don't get to say this very often about an older slab, but I've never seen one of these before. Mind if I snag the images?

I checked out the location of the firm, and it is now a small shopping center with a bank and a vitamin shop.

The packaging is worth much more than the coin. Early authentication/grading company products are very interesting and difficult to find.

Interesting comments all- no problem Conder101 for use of images. Glad this can contribute to your efforts, and appreciate you asking. Thanks for your research into the various slab varieties. I would never had guessed that there were as many companies as you reported- 150???!!! Sounds like a lot of entrepreneurs, and perhaps a few opportunists who understood the value of such a service but couldn't quite get a solid marketing plan together. I suppose mass marketing a service in a niche market, as coin collecting, takes a lot of endorsements from other credible organizations within the market? Followed up by quality and consistency? I don't know...I'm curious if the United States Numismatic Arts Foundation started out as a coin club and morphed into an ambitious venture that started small, had a little growth, then fizzled because of competition? I'm sure there is a pattern with how some of these organizations started and failed- would be interesting to know.

RWB, I was curious if the slab had any value aside from intrinsic, and thanks for indicating. I'll be sure not to break it open!

Rich

Does the coin freely move around in the opening in that slab?

I like the slab, the coin looks pretty nice too, but quite common date/mm.

It seems like a lot of effort to create that slab to allow the coins to rattle around in such a large opening though.

It would appear that the holder was originally made to encase a Morgan/Peace dollar and was subsequently used for the half dollar encased.

It would be nice to find out if that was manufactured by 'Capitol Plastic' ?

Interesting, I don't get to say this very often about an older slab, but I've never seen one of these before. Mind if I snag the images?

I checked out the location of the firm, and it is now a small shopping center with a bank and a vitamin shop.

When I saw the photos, the first thing that came to my mind is, "I wonder if Conder has ever seen one?"

Chris

WoodenJefferson,

I don't believe Capitol Plastics made the holder. I looked at my Capitol Plastic products and compared with the holder. It looks as if someone cut these pieces out with a ban-saw, as there are noticeable parallel grooves and gouges all away around the ends of the holder. Doesn't appear they were sanded out very well; appears to be inferior to Capitol Products.