• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1891 O Liberty Seated Dime

13 posts in this topic

AU sharpness, probably cleaned, which would net it down to EF.

Unfortunately I don't have a Legend Obverse Liberty Seated dime in Mint State. My type coins are Proofs, but here is a Liberty Seated half dollar that has been graded MS-63. It has full mint luster, but there are number of small tick marks that are what you would expect from an MS-63. This can give you at an idea of what a Choice Uncirculated, but not a Gem Uncirculated Liberty Seted coin looks like.

1874halfdollarO.jpg1874halfdollarR.jpg

Bill, that's great info. Thx. Did you tone the halve? If so, which process?

I can answer for Bill. No, he didn't tone the half (not "halve") - he is not a coin doctor.

Why would you ask such a question of him?

The reason that I asked is because I have seen in several forums that people are treating coins, such as, with hard boiled eggs, to obtain a suitable tone. Some have even used manila envelopes to tone the coins. I know nothing about this so I was relaying what I have read. Diffidently didn't mean to offend anyone.

The reason that I asked is because I have seen in several forums that people are treating coins, such as, with hard boiled eggs, to obtain a suitable tone. Some have even used manila envelopes to tone the coins. I know nothing about this so I was relaying what I have read. Diffidently didn't mean to offend anyone.

Here is my take on the toning on the half dollar.

This piece was dipped which caused it to turn white. In the intervening years it has gotten some toning perhaps from some time in envelope storage before it was put in the slab. I bought this coin in the slab in 2007, It has not changed so it is stable, which is very important. It was put in the slab years before 2007. I think that it is in a green label PCGS holder, which dates the slab to the early to mid 1990s.

I don't tone coins with chemicals. I have put coins that had been dipped or lightly cleaned in envelopes and left them there for several years, which quite often results in attractive toning, at least for me. It's not the kind of toning that bring big bucks however. It just gives the coins a more natural appearance. That's as close to coin doctoring as I get.

AT is generally detectable. Don't try to tone valuable coins.

AT is generally detectable. Don't try to tone valuable coins.

Another reason not to do it is because (IMO) it's unethical.

I am seeing this one as an XF45 or thereabouts. It is not a Mint State coin. There are obvious wear spots on the leg, chest, head, arm, cap, date and lettering. The reverse shows obvious wear on the wreath and ONE DIME.

It is difficult to say how much luster is left on this coin, but an MS63 would have full luster in the fields and no wear on the design elements.