• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Switzerland Coinage

3 posts in this topic

I decided to randomly select Switzerland coins to begin collecting... I have 5 coins that I have purchased and none are particularly impressive, just getting my feet wet. When I look up swiss coin prices on the NGC world price guide; I have questions...

1. What does specimen mean that I see all over the place? It is now my belief this relates to the SP grading on the Labels and is of better quality, equivalent to proofs?

2. Are the world prices for coins inflated as they NGC/PCGS prices are for US coins?

3. Any good references for swiss coins, or simply world coins? I just bought two krause world coin books which seems the best source....

4. If anyone is looking to sell their swiss coins prior to 1967 please let me know.

david

Coins designated 'specimen' are typically of superior manufacturing quality than regular business strike coins, but are not really proof coins and IMO were merely early strikes often exhibiting some 'proof' qualities such as mirrored fields and frosted devices, a very bold strike, etc. Specimen coins are however not proofs.

There are several very good books dedicated to the coins of Switzerland by various authors, but not necessarily written in english. Search for books by Jurg Richter and MIchael Haberling.

PM me with what you are looking for, as I have some really nice old holder NGC Swiss stuff I'd consider parting with.