• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 $100 1-oz Silver Union NGC graded coin (?)

4 posts in this topic

Recently, a friend of mine approached me regarding a 2015 $100 1-oz Silver Union NGC graded coin, that was designed by George T. Morgan in 1876, was discovered by the Smithsonian, being struck by several different mints, and wanted to know if it was worth the investment. First off I noticed that this coin does not have the $100 denomination on the proof to indicate that this a valid US government recognized currency, but was surprised to see that it had been graded by the NGC. Can you enlighten me on the validity of this "coin" ? Or is it just another private mint ploy to get extra $$$'s for a $15 1oz round?

• Administrator

Thanks for your question. These items are not coins. They are commercially produced medals commissioned by the Smithsonian as a fundraiser. The design is taken from an unissued pattern coin by Morgan.

I have sold a few on Ebay and they have always fetched more than issue price. They are well-made and people are usually willing pay much more than melt for professionally made medals...higher than the crude round quality. Plus in a normal retail environment..even common household items...a production cost of say $20 will sell for $100. That's a perfectly normal industry margin.

On 11/24/2015 at 1:37 PM, dena said:

Thanks for your question. These items are not coins. They are commercially produced medals commissioned by the Smithsonian as a fundraiser. The design is taken from an unissued pattern coin by Morgan.

I am glad u pointed that out but I thought the medal was going to be minted for one year.  I see they have minted this coin many years & have different amounts of silver. They made a coin that was historic & made is just another silver round. It is very disappointing. NGC is the best grading company but I think u have been sidetracked by grading these ordinary silver rounds. Please, get back on track & grade Real Coins.