• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A very interesting toned sac

15 posts in this topic

I have a whitman for Ikes and SBA's there were a few extra holes so i put in a sac rev. up because the rev. looks alot better than the obv. IMO it didn't want to stay in the hole so i got some tape taped it in put it away for about 2 years pulled it out today and presto very interestingly toned sac. The obv. is mostly red with just a hint of blue and the rev. looks exactly like it does in the pic. I figured i'd ask to see if anyone could figure out what happened.

Sacs are very unstable pieces.

I got a coin from a certain modern expert in a PCGS MS-67 holder that had a lot of those copper looking rinse spots on the piece. After a year and a half in the slab, the coin had mellowed to a deep gold color, almost completely masking the spots.

I've seen many coins that get toning from motor oil. I've got a canadian dime I found on the sidewalk that had been laying in motor oil and has beautiful color. It could easily make a 67 at NGC if it weren't for the oil damage and a huge deep scratch on the obverse.

NOT HEAT MY FREINDS.LOVELY COIN ! SNAKE

On the contrary. That's not a natural toning pattern for these, and second of all it's not a natural toning color pattern for these. I have seen firsthand, heat ATed Sac dollars, which produce the same colors as this coin has. What is your basis on your assumption that the toning is realy may I ask?

Funny even after you told how this was done several still said heat!! What kind of tape did you use, I need to get some. That color might look good on a Morgan!! tongue.gif